Thread: Lake Keowee

Lake Keowee

What is the fishing like on the lake? Are there smallmouth you can target or is it mostly spotted bass and largemouth? Going up on December 9 to look for a lot. Also any advice on looking for a lakefront lot? If it is approved for a platform dock only is there any issue with the water levels that would cause an issue using a platform dock?

2. Member
    Deep, clear, spotted bass lake. Beautiful place. I personally like hartwell better.

3. Member
    I live on Keowee. Water levels do not change much like Lake Hartwell. Typically about 3 ft in a year. A platform dock does not allow you to have a covered dock and boat lift. Usually (but not always) a platform dock is near the end of a cove where it gets narrow. If the lot is steep, you will likely have water. If the lot is not steep, you could be marginal on water. Have a good look at it and check the water depths. If you can wait another 12 months, I would guess property values will drop at least 20 - 25% or more.

4. Member
    Lake gets busy and I meen busy from memorial day to labor day. Lots and lots of wake boats.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    What is the fishing like on the lake? Are there smallmouth you can target or is it mostly spotted bass and largemouth? Going up on December 9 to look for a lot. Also any advice on looking for a lakefront lot? If it is approved for a platform dock only is there any issue with the water levels that would cause an issue using a platform dock?
    I'll PM you my friends info so you can contact him. If it doesn't have a dock on it now you'll need to get the premit from Duke Power everything there is a floater. No Smallies, water doesn't change much due to the nuke plant.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    I live on Keowee. Water levels do not change much like Lake Hartwell. Typically about 3 ft in a year. A platform dock does not allow you to have a covered dock and boat lift. Usually (but not always) a platform dock is near the end of a cove where it gets narrow. If the lot is steep, you will likely have water. If the lot is not steep, you could be marginal on water. Have a good look at it and check the water depths. If you can wait another 12 months, I would guess property values will drop at least 20 - 25% or more.
    That was one concern I have if I buy a bass boat. If I can't put in a covered dock I will need to use a cover so it doesn't fill up when it rains. It seems like most of the lots available are in coves as the better lots have already been built on. I see some communities have community docks so that may be an option but they do not look like they are covered and I am not sure if they have power to charge the trolling motor batteries. I think my wife want to look at Keowee Key and some other areas closer to town rather than the North end of the lake.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    North end of the lake is a little bit of a poke to civilization not much up on that end. Keowee Key is an older development right at mid lake.

8. Banned
    Is Keowee the one with the nuclear reactor on it?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzdr View Post
    Is Keowee the one with the nuclear reactor on it?
    Correct.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Correct.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    That was one concern I have if I buy a bass boat. If I can't put in a covered dock I will need to use a cover so it doesn't fill up when it rains. It seems like most of the lots available are in coves as the better lots have already been built on. I see some communities have community docks so that may be an option but they do not look like they are covered and I am not sure if they have power to charge the trolling motor batteries. I think my wife want to look at Keowee Key and some other areas closer to town rather than the North end of the lake.
    Many, but not all, community docks have power. If you look up "Marine Concepts" they will be you a great cover that can be fastened to the slip if it is allowed. There are some lots still available on a subdivision in the crooked creek cove and a few months ago there were several lake front lots there that would allow a covered dock. That area is on the southern part of the lake but check with a local real estate. You are better off in a cove than the main part of the lake where the wake boats will eventually damage your dock. With the deteriorating economy, I think you will see more homes go up for sale in the next year.