Question Prop Help 618 w. 175 Pro XS

Struggling to get revs out of my Pro XS 175 4-Stroke on my 618.

Setup is as follows

618 Pro 2011
    Merc Pro XS 175 4-Stroke
    2x 8ft Raptors on the back
    8” Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate
    2x Lithiums (1x 24v for Troll, 1x 12v for Sounders)
    1x AGM for Crank

Full Tank of Fuel
    2 people
    normal load

Air Temp 75-80 degrees

I’ve tried the following 3 props, all run close to the same.
    I’m trying to gain more revs to get closer to the power band which from what I’ve told us 100rpm down from Max.

best speeds on all 3 are gained with the jackplate completely up and the boat trimmed right out.
    it runs beautifully, just the pad in the water.
    i just feel like I can’t get the motor high enough, I feel like it should start slipping and losing speed but it doesn’t seem to do so.

motor is rigged as high as possible on the plate allowing 2 bolts at the top, I could move it 1 hole higher but I’d end up with 1 bolt at the top and 2 at the bottom.

Jackplate is 1 hole from the highest position on the boat.

23 Fury
    5600rpm
    62.5mph

23 Tempest Plus
    63mph

24 Bravo 1 FS
    62.5mph

any ideas?

2. Member
    No where near the same boat, but I had a Nitro Z7 (I know before a bought a Phoenix and saw the light!!). I had a manual plate but went from running a 3 blade to a 4 blade Trophy Plus. I ran 64 with that prop. Good luck with it!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

3. Member
    I had the same boat for 10 years. Your speeds seem good to me. Don't always relay on what sppeds you see by others. I can tell you my tach was off just under 200 rmps from gauge to Smartcraft reading from motor or vessel view. I would measure prop to pad to be sure motor was set correctly.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theBaitBar View Post
    I had the same boat for 10 years. Your speeds seem good to me. Don't always relay on what sppeds you see by others. I can tell you my tach was off just under 200 rmps from gauge to Smartcraft reading from motor or vessel view. I would measure prop to pad to be sure motor was set correctly.
    RPM readout is on Smartcraft.
    I don’t have the standard Phoenix gauge anymore. When I repowered I threw in 2x SC1000 gauges instead.

I agree speeds are ok, but it has more left because I’m a good 300 RPM off the max of 6000.

I think I’ve got another couple Mile out of it if I find the right setup.

I can't comment much on that boat either but I've prop'ed quite a few boats over the years. Raptors/ or any shallow water anchor are going to slow the boat down. Looks like you lightened it up some with the lithium's which does not always increase top speed. I would run it in the cool weather and see if you gain any RPMs with the same load.. And if its still pretty close, send a prop off to get it worked. I saw you live abroad so not sure the best option for sending a prop some where. But a good prop guy can probably pick up the 2-3 mph your after and the 2-300 rpms your after.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

6. Member
    I have a 2019 618 with the 175 pro xs, Bob's plate. With a 23p Tempest plus, in the summer, I'm getting 5800-6000 rpm, 63-64 mph. With a 24p Tempest Plus, in cooler weather, 5800-5900 rpm, 66-67 mph. These #'s are with the boat loaded and by myself. I don't have poles, but have 4 Ionic's and 1 agm.
    Last edited by mkm; 11-17-2022 at 06:39 AM.