Evinrude Etec-G2 175HP problems.

Hi to all,

I own a Phoenix 618 with an Evinrude Etec G2 175 HP... Got it on July 15, 2018. It has about 100 hrs or less because of the time I was in the shop.

The latest problem happend during a tournament on July 9, 2022. Went to start the engine and got a fault... bottom line it said service required!. after a call to the dealer and a 4 hour ride with my Ultrex, got back to the boat lunch. Broth it in the following Saturday and after a week, found out I needed a new EMM, sensors, and wiring harness. They finally shipped the EMM and sensors. But, after multiple calls, and getting the same reply, "... it might ship this month", nothing! So, my boat is now in storage for the winter. I'm hoping it will be ready for May 2023.

I feel that I made a huge mistake purchasing this engine. The replies a got from BRP was terrible. I had 1 person from BRP tell me to call my dealer and not to call them... My dealer is going to inform me!

Don't know if anyone else who has this type of engine has the same problems.

Now while I'm waiting, I'm also thinking whether I should swap out the Evinrude with a new engine or just get a new Phoenix PHX 20...

Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model, serial number and case number please. Evinrude support wants to deal only with the dealer, that is SOP, it is the same with all manufacturers.

3. Member
    ++ to Championman.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Updated info from Pierre.
    Evinrude Etec-G2 175HP
    Serial # 0552966
    Case # 813100

Got it in July 15, 2018.

1st major problem: Error fault that prevented engine to start. 2019 lost 6 weeks but dealer fixed it and added a new larger crank battery (all no charge) 2nd problem: key switch stopped working.
    2021 lost 4 weeks waiting on part.

Now this...
    It was a. dream of mine to have my own bass boat saved up for 15 years.Looked at a lot of different models.
    Settled on Phoenix.

No complaints about Phoenix...

as for the dealer... I now have very serious doughts about them...

5. Member
    As per a customer service person, my part was shipping on November 18... Now I will do a follow up and get a tracking number if shipped.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    As per a customer service person, my part was shipping on November 18... Now I will do a follow up and get a tracking number if shipped.
    Spoke with my dealer... They did not get the part and they were told by BRP it wasn't shipped.

7. Member
    After hearing a lot of comments from BBC and other places, either I got a lemon for an engine or the dealer that service my boat from day 1 messed up. Once my boat is repaired (I hope in 2023!!!) she will be going to another BRP recommended service centre for a complete inspection. Many new questions have came up...

Next expected part shipment date: March 2023 (maybe) At lease I finally spoke to someone who was able to give me a clearer answer and not the company's SOP.

8. Member
    We are now spring 2023... Just checked with dealer and BRP. We are now looking at maybe the end of June!!! I give up! I really regret buying this engine.

9. Member
    Sorry to hear this. It sucks for sure.

10. Member
    We are now July and unfortunately, BRP doesn't have the parts my engine need. Anyone who has an Evinrude ETEC-G2 are stuck with a dead brand! No parts for 2023... Maybe 2024 if they find new suppliers. 10-year warranty is worthless.

Good luck to anyone who is in this same situation.

11. Member
    I think you should make a complaint with the better business bureau. I bet Quebec has something similar especially for a Canadien company.

We are now July and unfortunately, BRP doesn't have the parts my engine need. Anyone who has an Evinrude ETEC-G2 are stuck with a dead brand! No parts for 2023... Maybe 2024 if they find new suppliers. 10-year warranty is worthless.

Good luck to anyone who is in this same situation.
    We get it. Alright? You're not really here to wish us good luck. You just want to vent.

We really don't need anymore updates. But thanks anyways... not
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    This forum has no control over parts or parts distribution or acquisition of items. I know here in the US there are no lemon laws that apply to outboard engines as they are considered a "niceity" meaning you don't really need a boat/motor to get through life, unlike a vehicle. Not much Bighare2 or myself can do except read your complaints and frankly it is getting old. Perhaps you can start a class action lawsuit but you will need a bunch of owners to join it. I remember back in the early days of direct fuel injected engines Mercury owners of the Optimax engines had them blow just outside of warranty and filed a class action suit against Mercury and won. Maybe if you bitched about your engine on the G2 owners group on Face Book you can get some sympathetic ears to listen to you.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    I think you should make a complaint with the better business bureau. I bet Quebec has something similar especially for a Canadien company.
    Done... got nowhere since BBB has no binding or legal powers to do anything. Consumer protection can't help because the value of the engine exceeds their dollar limits. The only recourse anyone in a similar situation has are going legal. So... This engine is a write-off.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    We get it. Alright? You're not really here to wish us good luck. You just want to vent.

We really don't need anymore updates. But thanks anyways... not
    Welcome... not

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    This forum has no control over parts or parts distribution or acquisition of items. I know here in the US there are no lemon laws that apply to outboard engines as they are considered a "niceity" meaning you don't really need a boat/motor to get through life, unlike a vehicle. Not much Bighare2 or myself can do except read your complaints and frankly it is getting old. Perhaps you can start a class action lawsuit but you will need a bunch of owners to join it. I remember back in the early days of direct fuel injected engines Mercury owners of the Optimax engines had them blow just outside of warranty and filed a class action suit against Mercury and won. Maybe if you bitched about your engine on the G2 owners group on Face Book you can get some sympathetic ears to listen to you.
    You're right about a class action lawsuit... Good bye.

Just got word last week that after 11.5 months my new EMM has finally arrived at the shop. Dropped my boat off Friday and hoping to have it back sometime this week. Apparently some parts are starting to ship! I feel your pain and hope that your wiring harness has come in or at least comes in soon. Trying to decide now if I should sell the rig and buy a new one as soon as it's up and running or try to get by with it for the next two years that I'm in California and then sell it before moving back to the East coast!

18. Member
    Good news!

All fixed and settled... Back on the water.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good news!

All fixed and settled... Back on the water.
    And up for sale?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    And up for sale?
    Going to keep this one until it dies. Give me a chance to save up some $$$... Prices are still way too high. Also it is under full warranty till July 2028...