Thread: Fueling VX20

Fueling VX20

I have a 2021 VX20. When I refuel the pump auto shutoffs almost never work and it will overflow. As a result I have to try to track what I burn each trip and then put in a bit less than that when I refuel. I haven't had this issue with previous boats. I'm guessing it may be an issue with the venting system. Have any of you experienced this? It's going into the shop Monday for several warranty issues but I'm not very optimistic they will be able to do anything about this one.

Appreciate your input!

I personally have never liked using the auto shut off at the gas pump on and of the boats I’ve ever owned with internal tanks. Seems like they almost always burp gas at the end. Instead I just stand by the foil port and listen for the gas to hit the fill tube and milk it the rest of the way by hand.

3. Member
    That's what I do as well. It's sometimes hard to hear if you are next to a very busy road.

4. Member
    Sometimes if you will adjust the nozzle sideways for a bit it will start taking fuel easier. I have to do mine sometimes. I have never had gas spill out since mine always cuts off in plenty of time.

5. Member
    I dropped mine at the dealer today for a few warranty items. The fueling issue is on the list but they didn't sound very optimistic about doing anything about it.

I don’t believe this a boat problem.
    The nozzles at gas stations are designed/required to shut off once the fuel reaches the nozzle. Its a built in safety feature. If not, everyone leaving the nozzle in the vehicle fuel tank would over flow. Same with filling a gas can. Now if it’s just burping a splash of fuel before shutting off, I would consider that normal. Best to be paying attention at that point. My Skeeter required me to put the nozzle in upside down to work correctly. Even then it would burp some fuel before shutting off. I carried a rag just for the burp.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I just picked up a new avx 2180cc and I have the exact opposite issue. Takes forever to fill up the tank. No matter what station or pump I use the automatic shutoff clicks at just above 1/4 throttle. The filler cap and vent appear to be a single unit and I’ve placed a thin paper napkin over the vent hole to see what sort of air is being directed back out the vent hole. Barely any comes out. I’d like to pull the vent line from the tank but the hose is so tight on the barb fitting it would be a _itch to get it off without cutting it. I’m thinking about cutting the vent line about 3/4 down the hose closest to the tank and installing a barb x barb x npt thread tee with a ball vale on the threads. I can just pop open the ball valve and have an instant increase of airflow out of the tank when the gas is being sent in. Or I may forget about it and just pump slow because I’m too lazy to work on a new boat. That’s why I bought a new one to stop having to work on the old one.