Thread: Small Smoker

Small Smoker

Considering adding to the arsenal. Currently using a TEC infrared.
    Shipped the standard Weber gas grill to my brother in Panama.

Itching for a smoker. There's only two of us now, small portions.
    Kamado style, Bradley or Traeger style ... are of interest to me.
    Prefer something built in the Americas or EU, not the Far East.

My culinary skills are fine. Any of them can be used without issue.
    Priorities in order - reliability, food quality and long term cost.

Input would be appreciated. Trying to determine the best overall.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 11-11-2022 at 08:24 AM.

2. Member
    I guess it depends what you want. I had a digital masterbuilt, served me well for 10 years. Nice size easy to use. I have a Chargriller Acorn too. Tougher to use at first, great flavors and excellent results. But it's only for 2 people, it is small. I just bought a Masterbuilt gravity 800 and it is amazing, the best of the 3. They make a 560 version too, a bit smaller.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

3. Member
    I have the 30" Masterbuilt Stainless steel smoker as it's not too big to roll around(I store mine in the garage to keep it out of the elements) and it's perfect to me for a smaller smoker.I've done turkeys,ribs,briskets,jerky to name a few and all have come out very tasty. The only downside to me is that you're not going to get the "bark" as good as an offset,but keeping the heat within 3-4 degrees of your programmed temp it does with flying colors. I like the ease of using the remote to make time/temp changes also. I've used offset smokers before and had great results,but of course there's more work operating them too.

I have a large BGE. That’s as small as I’d go on a kamado style. I like it for slow smoking, chicken, and super hot steak grilling. I really like spatchcock turkeys on it. Little bit of a learning curve but it’s easy. For quick grilling like brats, dogs, burgers for just 2 it’s overkill in my opinion.

I have a newer MES 40. To get good smoke I had to get a smoke tube. I like the set & forget deal. Not very versatile though as it only goes from 100-275*. Puts out decent grub without much effort.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 11-11-2022 at 03:36 PM.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Green Mountain Trek or Davy Crockett
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Green Mountain Trek or Davy Crockett
    They look ideal ... however, reviews are up and down.
    Do you own one? How long? Any issues, other info?

7. Member
    RecTeq 590 would serve you well

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    They look ideal ... however, reviews are up and down.
    Do you own one? How long? Any issues, other info?
    Friends we travel with have a Davy Crockett. They’ve had no issues.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Friends we travel with have a Davy Crockett. They’ve had no issues.
    Thanks. The Davy Crockett is now the Trek. Apparently, it had another name before the DC.
    I'm gonna keep looking until Black Friday events. Pretty sure that's going to be the best time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Thanks. The Davy Crockett is now the Trek. Apparently, it had another name before the DC.
    I'm gonna keep looking until Black Friday events. Pretty sure that's going to be the best time.
    Since GMG renamed their product lines and switched to the 12 volt power supply they have been having a lot of issues. I have a older GMG that works great but if and when it breaks I'm going to switch to a Rec Tec 590 a couple of friends have the rec Tec and the smoke flavor and temp control are much better then GMG.
    John the Garage Doorman

11. Member
    I have all three sizes of the Weber Smokey Mountain and the little 14" gets the most use as I'm only feeding me and my wife, anything smoked on the other two is going to get portioned and vac sealed to freeze

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I have all three sizes of the Weber Smokey Mountain and the little 14" gets the most use as I'm only feeding me and my wife, anything smoked on the other two is going to get portioned and vac sealed to freeze
    I'm definitely looking to smoke, eat a couple of meals while fresh, vacuum pack the remainder.

At this point, I'm leaning toward a smaller "standard" unit, doing more vacuum packing for us.
    We have a vacuum sealer and both a large side-by-side and a small chest freezer for storage.

Leaders Bradley Original Smoker & Traeger Pro 575. Both seem respected. Easy enough to use.
    Both in the same price range ... $449 and $499. Bradley is much more expensive to operate.
    However, operational cost isn't a huge concern. We don't smoke, or fish, to save money on food.
    Leaning toward pellet due to accessibility as well. Everyone carries them, usually found on sale.

And I've decided to store it in the garage and use it in the front, make the neighbors hungry.

Commentary on this lineup are appreciated. Want to be ready to hop on one for Black Friday.
    Notes ... I'm quite capable at cooking. My back/neck are junk. Cleaning no issue, lifting is bad.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 11-13-2022 at 06:24 AM.

13. Member
    Debate over ... bought a Traeger Pro. They offered to assemble for free, but I'm into jigsaw puzzles.
    Actually, I'm going to ensure it's fully assembled, correctly, including all parts. And better understand it.
    Looking forward to my first batch of inexpensive cuts ... chicken, pork butt, etc. Make sure I'm good.
    Just have to pick up a bag of pellets plus both drip tray and collection bucket liners. Thanks all.

14. Member
    Congrats on the new grill/smoker. I still haven't tried anything off a pellet grill yet. No one I know has one.

15. Member
    I’ve been off this forum for a while, but I will tell you one thing, thank you lucky stars you did not buy the Davy Crockett. I had one, returned it, and it sucked. Temperature swings of 70° constantly. Congratulations on your new smoker.