90 GT 150 STLACA

After the recent trim swap we took and put in the water to do some bunk boards. It started up fine and then ran for 40 mins while we did out work. Next weekend we took out and it would not start. Called tech he said check spark ( all good) and then try to spray some fuel in carbs... fired right up. Let it sit overnight and this afternoon would not start unless I sprayed a little bit it then fired right up. Bulb hard, fresh fuel. I am thinking primer solenoid as before ( with the cover on) I would hear it click when I pushed key in.. now nothing ( with the cover off) Tech said he was thinking it sucked something up into the carbs but it runs fine on the muffs once I get her fired up so if that was true I feel it has run it outta there. Thoughts? The replacement solenoid is like $75

2. Member
    Have you tried to turn the red lever on the primer solenoid to the side, then squeezed the primer bulb and tried to start? This will test the fuel lines feeding the primer solenoid to see if they are getting and pushing out fuel.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    ^^^+1

4. Member
    I put the solenoid on and it still wants a shot of fuel in the carbs then starts right up and then will start back on the first turn on the switch. Took it out and ran it real hard today, hopefully it cleaned/ pushed out anything that might have been restricting it as it ran real nice on plane. Again after the initial start it cranks right back up. Just wants that fuel shot???

5. Member
    You seem, by your descriptions to have a misconception of what the primer solenoid is or does. The primer functions like the choke valve mechanisms of long ago. The engine needing a few shots of fuel to start, primarily when cold is normal and expected. The operator is expected to push the key in to help starting as necessary.
    The solenoid injects fuel behind the throttle plates when the key switch is pushed in. Pressure to push fuel to and through the solenoid comes from the fuel pump when the engine is cranking or when ever the engine is running. The solenoid remains active / open as long as the key switch is held pushed in. It stops injecting fuel and closes when the key is released. Do note that the primer solenoid is not effective without the engine being cranked over and the key switch being pushed in and held in place.
    Taking the engine out and running it hard will have no effect on cleaning the fuel lines that feed the solenoid.

6. Member
    BigHare so continuing to hold it down floods it? And I appreciate the explanation I am not high tech mech for sure. There were 2 tiny lines and 1 big line that tied into the fuel tree which I got all back on real tight and clamped down. Running it hard was pointing at it might be something in the carbs that was not letting it get fuel or enough fuel. I put the cover on it and will try it again when the weather gets better.

Question though, I used to hear a click type sound when I pushed the key in.. .dont hear it anymore. I thought that was they solenoid activating the pressure.

7. Member
    It only floods if you hold it in too long.
    The primer system is not at all “high tech”. It has been in in use since about 1984. Most Evinrude Johnson’s have has some form of electric choke since the late 50’s.
    You should also feel the solenoid activate. The purple wire with white stripe coming off the key switch is the primer solenoid hot wire. Ground is from a short black wire coming out of the solenoid body.