ALX Rumble, Alpha Angler Chatterbound, or Expride 7'2" MH Glass

Sometime before next season begins I'm going to be in the market for a rod that I can use for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, and hopefully shallow to mid diving crankbaits. I'm doing a lot more kayak fishing now, so I only take 4 rods with me, so each rod needs to be pretty versatile. I owned an Expride A 7'2" MH glass composite rod a couple of years ago and really liked it. Then I got into a period of time when I was trying new rods left and right, so I sold the Expride to try other rods. I'm currently using a Daiwa Rebellion and for me it just doesn't have that "it" factor like the Expride did. For anyone that has used the Rumble or the Chatterbound, I'd love to hear opinions, especially if you've also used the Expride to compare it to.

2. Member
    I'm liking my new Rumble. Great upper flex gives me the distance I need with plenty of backbone.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I'm liking my new Rumble. Great upper flex gives me the distance I need with plenty of backbone.
    I'm not sure how to express it, but do you find the tip on the Rumble to be whippy? I like the tip to have flex, but I like it to still feel crisp, not whippy, if that makes sense.

4. Member
    I know what you mean about the flex in the upper section of the Rumble. I thought the same thing but got used to it quickly and liked the distance I was getting with a vibrating jig or spinnerbait. I also think that the flex helps me hook up better. I was missing a lot of strikes when using a rod with a faster tip. I also like the backbone of the Rumble to for ripping a bait out of weeds.

5. Member
    I have a chatterbound, and personally i'm meh on it, definitely wouldn't buy another one. It's a little too soft for my liking. Of those 3 i'd go expride b 7'2. Not on the list, i would definitely go powell endurance 7'2 MH crank rod.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I have a chatterbound, and personally i'm meh on it, definitely wouldn't buy another one. It's a little too soft for my liking. Of those 3 i'd go expride b 7'2. Not on the list, i would definitely go powell endurance 7'2 MH crank rod.
    I will take a look at the Endurance 7'2" MH Crank. I'm certainly willing to look at other rods, the three I mentioned are just ones that I knew were on my list to check out.

7. Member
    The Rumble is faster than most glass rods. Under load it definitely FEELS more parabolic, but it has a fast tip and that helps with controlled casts shallow while still giving you the ability to bomb it.

The Expride is good-to-great at doing several things; chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and shallow cranking. It's more multipurpose, and also pretty parabolic. Has a great tip.

I can't speak to any Alpha Angler rods. Everyone speaks highly of Jake and his guys, but his rods are still harder to get ahold of and they don't pop up used often.

I think the Rumble is the best in the $250-ish class of chatterbait rods. It won't wear you out, and the company is super reliable about making sure you never have any problems. The Expride is no slouch, either.

8. Member
    have the rumble. love it. use for bladed, spinner and swim
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

The Rumble does not have a whippy tip. It is a softer tip because of it being glass - but definitely not whippy. We've got a great picture of it loaded on the product page here.

The best way I can describe it is imagine fishing a MH crankbait rod that transitions into a heavy power jig rod when you set the hook. The tip flexes just a little on retrieve so the bait can work and hunt as designed.

After that, it's designed for the tip to give when a fish loads, giving the fish a chance to hold the bait and close down on it without the rod jerking the bait away. Then when you react and set the hook, that back end power kicks in for driving a heavy wire hook.

The Rumble is really good at both open water fishing and ripping out of grass. We're starting to have a lot of customers fish it for traps in grass as well.

10. Member
    Alex, just bought a Rumble and it was delivered today. Feels great in hand and I can't wait to get it out on the water for a test drive! It's amazingly light and balanced for a glass (composite) rod. I'm curious what you or others who own it are using for line? Are you throwing straight fluoro? Braid to fluoro? Something like a Sniper Crank FC? Fishing more hard cover than grass. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by heelamonster View Post
    Alex, just bought a Rumble and it was delivered today. Feels great in hand and I can't wait to get it out on the water for a test drive! It's amazingly light and balanced for a glass (composite) rod. I'm curious what you or others who own it are using for line? Are you throwing straight fluoro? Braid to fluoro? Something like a Sniper Crank FC? Fishing more hard cover than grass. Thanks!!
    I'm a poor example - I run 30# braid on everything anymore and swap out leaders - usually run about 12' leaders with 10# - 20# Fluoro dependnig on the scenario. I don't get to fish a ton so a couple years ago I switched to all braid to eliminate line memory issues. Swap out a new leader and good to go each trip.

Thanks for the compliment on the Rumble!

12. Member
    think i have 14# sniper. its def sniper may be off on pound. use it for chatter spinner and swim jig.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

13. Member
    I have a Rumble and absolutely love it. I was throwing Chatterbaits on an ALX LSB Med Heavy+ and that was good but the Rumble is a fantastic Chatterbait rod. I’ve had a few buddies try and each has bought one after throwing it. Combine that with Alex’s quality and service and you can’t beat the Rumble…or any ALX rod for that matter.

14. Member
    The Rumble is the best chatterbait rod that I have tried. I experimented with the Dobyns 736, the Expride and the new NRX BJR. The NRX is a great rod but I found it much better for 3/8 oz swim jigs. I mostly fish grass with chatterbaits and rely on 16 and 18lb Sunline Sniper. There are always 2 Rumbles on my deck when the chatterbait bite is on.

15. Member
    Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure how/if the glass composite affected line choice but it sounds like it's a nonissue and based on type of cover and/or personal preference. I appreciate the feedback! And thanks Alex for another great rod, you and the folks at ALX continue to impress.

16. Member
    Rumble.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

17. Member
    You want to sell that Chaterbouns?