Thread: Part #

Part #

Hey folks

Going from a 2 stroke to a new 4 stroke 225 Pro Xs, looking for the part number of the harness that is needed to connect the old wiring to the new motor. Or is it recommended that I
    change all of the wiring from the key?

Thanks

I’m going to go out in a limb here and say fit a new harness with your new motor. I can’t see any logical reason why you wouldn’t want to do this.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Luc: It may (or may not) be beneficial to go to a new harness. However... we're going to need to know precisely WHAT "2-stroke" you're coming from... and preferably what boat you had.

Or better yet: Snap a picture of the end of the keyswitch harness (connector).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    2001 Ranger 520 vx with a 2001 225 Opti

8 To 14 Pin Mercury 1' Length 896542T01

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    8 To 14 Pin Mercury 1' Length 896542T01
    That's not going to reach the back of the engine along the pathway required on the new 4-strokes.

I'd recommend either a new keyswitch harness that's 5' longer, OR a 10' 14-pin harness extension (so the connection is made in the back of the boat, rather than in the cowling). Personally- I'd opt for the keyswitch harness as my first choice, followed by a 10' extension and adapter.

You can probably get by with 896542T08 (Same adapter as 21xTriton05 mentioned above, but 8' length).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you all for this information.

On another matter, will I need to switch my smartcraft? Not aware what model it is but it could be the original (square shaped)

Thank you again

Most bass rigs have a k20 harness already and there's more than enough to pull out. He just has to see if he can pull an extra 2.5 +/- feet out before ordering.

The blue can line will connect on the new engine as well so your smartcraft will work.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Blue can line will connect- BUT is missing a resistor. Not that difficult to add it to the blue harness connector, though.

10. Member
    Thank you for your responses, very helpful.

Now where can I get the part numbers? (keyswitch harness and the resistor)

Thanks again

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Most any dealer has a rigging manual that has all of the keyswitch harnesses, etc. If you can specify length, one of us will be glad to provide you with the number.

I'm gonna send you a PM with my email. Resistor is simple to do- find a terminating resistor cap to rob the resistor and pins from. I can email you pictures of exactly what to do.

12. Member
    @EuropeanAM are you talking about roughly measuring the length of the harness needed?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes sir... they come in 5' increments, and it's much easier to hide a few feet than it is to try and STRETCH it.

Note: Recommend you plan for 5' length from the rigging flange to the connection at the back of the engine.

14. Member
    So does 16 1/2’ sound ok? I measured from the key to the end of the old wires

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You'll want to order a 20' (14-Pin, Non-DTS) Keyswitch harness assembly. 896537T20 (892990T01 would be the Analog Instrument Harness that is used with it).

Note that if you install the above harness, you can add a Junction Box at the console, and will no longer need the blue cable (at all).

16. Member
    @EuropeanAM would that analog cable need to be the same length as the keyswitch harness? And that blue cable is the one for the smartcraft?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassseeker View Post
    @EuropeanAM would that analog cable need to be the same length as the keyswitch harness? And that blue cable is the one for the smartcraft?
    No- that's an Analog Instrument harness (connects from keyswitch harness to analog instruments).

Blue cable "can" be used, but is not mandatory when you have a KNOWN-OEM keyswitch harness (as I specified above). With the OEM harness you can use a J-Box and a female-female adapter (to connect analog dash harness to J-box). There are other possible configurations, trying to keep the pulled harnesses to the bare minimum.

18. Member
    Thank you sir, your assistance has been greatly appreciated