40hp Bigfoot stalls when first accelarating

I have a carbureted 2002 Mercury 40hp Bigfoot. It stalls when I first apply the throttle. I took it to the dealer. They put a new carb kit put on ($1500 yikes!!!). It still does it. I took it back. They took it out for a test run and said it was fine. They couldn't find any issues. It still does it. If I try to slowly accelerate it stalls out. If I move the throttle quickly to get past the stall point it runs fine but it does jerk the boat forward when I do it. I'd like to get a smooth acceleration throughout the range. I'm not going back to the dealer again. Any ideas?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Here is the sn: OT085680 40ELPT 4S . The dealer told me it was a 2002 when I bought it. The label 2000. I rmemeber now an earlier post where you told me it was built in November 1999. I sure wish I could get the stall at first push of the throttle fixed. It's worse when cold but doesn't stop when it gets warmed up either. Thoughts?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Get the synchronization settings checked (and the carbs synchronized on the appropriate synchronization tool).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor