Thread: FTX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FTX

Still trying to figure out what happened but SB looks like he lost 97% of his wealth. Sounds like leverage and crypto on the exchange but going to watch and see if they put out the specifics.

2. Member
    Big risk in crypto. I don't know why the people whose crypto blows up don't slowly cash out. Greed will get you I guess, that's why you've always got to have a plan before buying anything

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Big risk in crypto. I don't know why the people whose crypto blows up don't slowly cash out. Greed will get you I guess, that's why you've always got to have a plan before buying anything
    I never understood the allure of it and never understood it. Seems like the Tulip craze where people lost fortunes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I never understood the allure of it and never understood it. Seems like the Tulip craze where people lost fortunes.
    Yep, I never have either.

5. idbefishing
    I’ve been beating on that drum since 2017 that it ain’t going to work in the long run. The crypto bros all called me crazy. Even Stevie Wonder could see the writing on the wall.
    I saw the MSTR ceo dude said he will keep buying BTC.

6. Member
    I don't think the crypto market should be regulated. I do not want the US taxpayer to ever have to bailout a crypto firm or exchange. It is de centralized finance. It was designed to operate outside the traditional banking system. I say they just put up a sign that says No Lifeguard on Duty. You know the risks so have at it.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Looks like BlockFi is next. When does it hit Coinbase?
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Anyone thought the world's leading governments wouldn't undermine crypto was daffy.
    Guarantee, there's a bunch going on to disassemble it. No conspiracy, pure economics.

9. Member
    It'll be interesting to see how the Chapter 11 affects all the rest of the crypto world. Does it strengthen them, or is it just completely dead in the US...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

10. Member
    All of the big money that invested is blaming the lack of regulation. I'm not sure how that works. They did their due diligence and invested when it wasn't being regulated. There were several people from various regulatory agencies that told people their money was not insured and these exchanges were not banks. It is pretty bad when companies like BlackRock even got sucked in after saying they did their due diligence. Alot of the companies have some egg on their face.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Anyone thought the world's leading governments wouldn't undermine crypto was daffy.
    Guarantee, there's a bunch going on to disassemble it. No conspiracy, pure economics.

Are you implying govt is the reason behind FTX and other cryptos and stable coins collapsing into nothing? I'll take the other side of that argument. It was always vaporware.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Are you implying govt is the reason behind FTX and other cryptos and stable coins collapsing into nothing? I'll take the other side of that argument. It was always vaporware.
    Of course, it was vaporware. As the US dollar, Euro, Yen, etc. But the difference is they are backed by bullets, goods, etc.
    I'm sure they're undermining digital currency whenever the opportunity is presented. The government hates competition.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Operating hundreds of power plants, many with coal, to create a virtual currency that really isn't needed is immoral. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Operating hundreds of power plants, many with coal, to create a virtual currency that really isn't needed is immoral. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    I agree. Why waste real resources to create virtual "assets" and I am using the word assets very loosely.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I don't think the crypto market should be regulated. I do not want the US taxpayer to ever have to bailout a crypto firm or exchange. It is de centralized finance. It was designed to operate outside the traditional banking system. I say they just put up a sign that says No Lifeguard on Duty. You know the risks so have at it.
    Agreed

16. Member
    Who would invest their money with these clowns that push this junk? Just look at some of these people! All these cryptos will go down as the biggest scam ever. There is no get rich quick schemes that aren’t scams people! My personal opinion, crypto was created to distract and disrupt people from investing in the precious metals markets where there is true wealth preservation.

17. Member
    I saw a reddit post last week where someone said they had made 1.5 million in TSLA stock over a year ago. They put it all into FTX and poof it is gone. Can'y vouch for the veracity of the post but if it is true then that really has to hurt.

18. Member
    $5,500,000,000.00 x Sam x New Math = $659,000.00.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ETexBasscat View Post
    Who would invest their money with these clowns that push this junk? Just look at some of these people! All these cryptos will go down as the biggest scam ever. There is no get rich quick schemes that aren’t scams people! My personal opinion, crypto was created to distract and disrupt people from investing in the precious metals markets where there is true wealth preservation.
    -
    I know this is an Unpopular opinion around here; but here it goes.
    -
    any ‘coins’ with a ceo, board of directors, marketing team, development team is ripe for disaster……..that’s crypto for yah

bitcoin now………different story……….Bitcoin and ‘crypto’ are very different. Bitcoin=decentralized. ‘Cryptos’(altcoins)=centralized……… self custody is always key. No board of directors or ceo to rug pull yah when decentralized……... But self custody can be tricky. Most people don’t want the hassle. They want in on the Wild West for a possible quick buck and someone else to do the homework for them and hold their ‘coins’. As we see; no quick bucks.

Avoid the ‘crypto-bro’ vids online. Grab some actual books about the fundamentals of Bitcoin. Interesting stuff. But, I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

Shame so many people losing money in all this; but it’s helping to shake out some of the nonsense.

not financial advice………just, ‘Bitcoin is really worth looking into’ advice

with anything in life; if you can move the needle from ‘skeptical’ to ‘curious’, you’re ahead of the game
    Last edited by motomania; 11-19-2022 at 07:36 PM.

20. Member
    $3.1B owed to the Top 50 creditors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast