Prop oil seal - needing advice ‘92 Johnson Faststrike

While removing the second seal, I managed to score the inner side of the bearing housing with the seal puller. . See photo below.

Would it be okay as is? If not, advice on what I should do?

I’m planning on applying omc gasket sealing compound on the outer edge of the seal prior to installing and hoping this takes care of any crevices caused by the uneven surfaces.

Any other installation tips I should follow?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

D53A8A37-C4FB-42CE-BF27-AD103EABF379.jpeg
    Last edited by xavierisu; 11-09-2022 at 09:14 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Why didn't you pull the rear bearing carrier?? would have been much easier to do a correct job.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Why didn't you pull the rear bearing carrier?? would have been much easier to do a correct job.

Didn’t have the proper tools or know how. Care to explain?

Advice on how to proceed as is?
    Last edited by xavierisu; 11-09-2022 at 05:35 PM.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes, remove the retaining bolts holding the clips in at 12 and 6 o'clock. Use a harmonic balancer puller and two pieces of all thread and screw into the bearing carrier bolt holes remove the carrier. Then you can remove the seals and the O ring on the inside end of the carrier. As it is now, you'll have to find something to drive the seal into the carrier to set to the proper depth. Yes the gasket sealer should help with the groove. I'd pull the carrier and use a sanding wheel on a drill and run it in seal opening to smooth it out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Yes, remove the retaining bolts holding the clips in at 12 and 6 o'clock. Use a harmonic balancer puller and two pieces of all thread and screw into the bearing carrier bolt holes remove the carrier. Then you can remove the seals and the O ring on the inside end of the carrier. As it is now, you'll have to find something to drive the seal into the carrier to set to the proper depth. Yes the gasket sealer should help with the groove. I'd pull the carrier and use a sanding wheel on a drill and run it in seal opening to smooth it out.
    Thanks Champ. Is the install the exact opposite on the bearing carrier? Just pressed in the way it came out?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you have the double lip seal it goes in the way it came out, if you use the two single lip seals install with the inner seal's spring facing the carrier and the outer seal's spring facing you. ][

7. Member
    In addition to Fred's instructions, you may want to check your propshaft for any scratches to the sealing surface you may have applied.