Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    So I am right back to “will I be able to see the reduction of the squat with the addition of a foil…
    Yes, that's what I was saying when I said "it made the boat come down off plane more level, not that I really had a problem in the first place."

2. Member
    Have you tried moving weight up front?
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

3. Member
    Other than the batteries and 2 life jackets, everything is up past the console. My 3 trolling motor batteries are lithium. I have a friend with a V20 and it does the same thing. Other than the squat, I have zero performance issues.
    I just fish a lot of shallow water and set down in 2 or 3 feet of water often and have no plans on changing that

4. Member
    Im not getting something here. You are saying that as you are coming down off plane you're hitting the skeg on the lake bottom?
    If you have an atlas plate, can you not raise the engine as you are stopping to get it off the bottom?
    Sounds like your saying the back wash isnt a problem for you. Hitting the bottom is.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Hitting the bottom is.
    Yep, that’s the concern.
    Bow high and stern low as it sets down. Imagine kids on a seesaw. Even with the jackplate all the way up, the skeg is lower than the bottom of the hull and the motor sits back further than the transom. Given the stern is lower and then the downward force occurring, the skeg is much lower than if the boat was just floating with zero movement. The solution is to reduce the bow rise when coming off plane.

6. Member
    Ya…if I was smacking my transom off of bottom on the regular I’d probably reconsider where I’m putting the boat down, that’s just me though.

to stop the backwash like others have said, blip the throttle to push forward as the wave is coming.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Im not getting something here. You are saying that as you are coming down off plane you're hitting the skeg on the lake bottom?
    If you have an atlas plate, can you not raise the engine as you are stopping to get it off the bottom?
    Sounds like your saying the back wash isnt a problem for you. Hitting the bottom is.
    Im not sure about the foil but it sounds like your set up isn't optimum for that body of water. you may need to install a skeg guard and just hit from time to time.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

8. Member
    Idle out to deeper water and shut off sooner in deeper water. Legends sit low at stern. Part of the reason they ride so good.

9. Member
    My Atlas is a hydraulic . I typically have it raised just under 3 “ for optimal performance. I can jack it all the way up and barely lose water pressure but steering is not great then. On a different note, the transom does have aggressive angle, so the 12” setback does put the motor further down and with more negative trim. I can get up on plane fine without trimming all the way down. If I run with trim all the way down, the bow pushes down and you are not running on the pad. I have thought about putting on a shim that is reversed to reduce trim angle and raising the motor one more hole. Going up one hole may cause some loss of rough water capabilities, since the motor will not go down as far when I move the jackplate all the way down. It would give me another inch raising the motor. Of course, if I added the shim, I would lose some of height added by raising the motor one hole with the extra set back.
    hydromotive makes setback plates to resolve what u are talking about, mine is like that, I just bought a new one, made kinda neet
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Yep, that’s the concern.
    Bow high and stern low as it sets down. Imagine kids on a seesaw. Even with the jackplate all the way up, the skeg is lower than the bottom of the hull and the motor sits back further than the transom. Given the stern is lower and then the downward force occurring, the skeg is much lower than if the boat was just floating with zero movement. The solution is to reduce the bow rise when coming off plane.
    When I stopping in extremely shallow water and expect to hit, as soon as at starts to squat, I am trimming up as fast as possible. You will have backwash though but bow doesnt rise much.

Foil helps for me. It allows the boat to seem to coast along till it drops off plane. Without it, it felt like I was sinking stern first as it fell off plane.

TRim down as you drop off plane and add a CB foil, Trimmed up drives the back of the boat down, Back wash should not be a problem then. You can also make a turn just before that wash catches up with the boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    you maybe able to offset the squat by cranking the steering wheel hard port or starboard right before it's lowest point. That is how I get on pad in shallow water, without hitting bottom. Good luck.
    Wes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12