Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bow high when setting down off plane

I have a 17 Legend V20 w/ Merc 250 opti that I bought new in Dec of 2018. 12 inch Atlas jackplate and 2 10’ power pole blades. I love the boat, but it does have a few flaws. These boats are know to be stern heavy and many had to test for propping and prop venting to get on plane. I am happy where I am and the addition of 3 Lithium trolling motor batteries in 2020 even made it better.
    when you come off plane, you do have to feather it down a little to keep water from coming over the transom. No big deal either. But, when coming off plane, the bow does rise substantially, so the stern does squat down quite a bit before the bow drops.
    I fish mostly tidal rivers and do set down in a lot of shallow water ( 3 ft and less), so the skeg does bump the bottom on occasion.
    also, I have to run about 27-30 mpg to stay on plane depending upon trim level. Full trim down below 27 and it will porpoise.
    The other thread where the CB foil got me thinking. I know it may help with slower speed on plane, but would it help with the bow rise and stern pushing down when coming off plane. That would be my objective?

on another note, it seems like there has been little advancements in bass boat hull designs in last 20 years as compared to saltwater boats. The addition of built in adjusting trim tabs would be a great addition for a manufacturer to incorporate. Don’t add them instead of hull designs, but they sure could improve hull shots, slower on plane speeds etc after the boat is properly set up and propped

2. Member
    Have you tried adding weight up front? Also, do you have excessive bow rise when getting on plane?
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

3. Member
    I am no expert so please do not take this as an answer, just a thought. I am ordering a cb foil as I have porpoising and cannot be on plane as slow as I like either. I would think though as it helps that and hole shot that if you are trimmed down when you slow that it would help bring the nose down some at least. If it’s in the water (not on pad) it’s going to push. Considering it’s not crazy expensive I would try it. It can only help.

4. Member
    I too recommend a foil.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

5. Member
    I have one and it helps alot
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    Trimming all the way down before coming off plane will help, but I can personally attest that a cb foil will help provide some lift as you’re coming down. The best way is also not just to feather, but to give a little punch of the throttle as your stern sets down. Look backwards 2-3 times to learn when to give the punch, after that you’ll naturally give it gas at just the right time. Mine doesn’t come in the transom but would wash over the motor cowl but the foil and giving it a little gas as it comes off has completely eliminated that.

7. Member
    I think a foil will help with the squatting when setting down and also will help with low speed porpoising. I fish a lot of shallow water here in eastern NC too and the problem with punching the throttle at the critical moment is that ,that will also grind the prop into the bottom.The time to punch the gas is also when the prop is at its deepest. My solution was a Bob’s hydraulic plate. Running the plate full up and trimming as I come off plane allows me to set down in two ft of water without hitting bottom. I do still need to blip the throttle though. I have the engine mounted on the plate so when the plate is full down,my P to P is about 3” under ,so when I run the plate full up I’m at 3” over.

8. Member
    Gamblers utilize the trim tabs you are speaking about. You can add them to your boat as well I suppose but the difficulty would be in the proper placement. Also to me they are just another thing to control while operating the boat and maintain during normal wear and tear.

Backwash is the only thing I don't like about my Blazer 650. I have gotten pretty good at feathering it down however, water still gets on the deck throughout the day. How long have you had your Legend?

10. mikesxpress
    You cannot add trim tabs to a hull that has not been reinforced to handle them.

11. Member
    When u contact Chris about the foil, he makes a he makes a actuated plate just for your problems.

12. Member
    I saw a video on his actuated hole shot plate. I am sure it works great but would stink if it got stuck in a down position. I am not sure if I want to add a moving part that requires power and another switch to operate when driving. Just a little bow rise getting on plane and it’s pretty quick.
    It’s just one of the flaws in the hull design. I am not worried about running slower on plane, but the added benefit would be welcome.
    My main concern/question is would a foil help prevent the bow rise when setting down. I will have to reach out to him when I can find some time during the day

13. Member
    Bought it new in Dec of 18.

14. Member
    The CB foil made a huge difference on my Charger that did the same thing shutting down. Also helped stay on plain at low speed.

pretty much every boat i have ever had will back wash if i dont feather it.
    I dont ever think about it now, it just an automatic thing for me to do.
    And i dont have any extra holes in my LU

16. Member
    CB foil. I added one to my '07 P2 which made a great holeshot even better but I mostly added it to stay on plane at lower speeds. I could stay on plane at 17mph. Also noticed that it made the boat come down off plane more level, not that I really had a problem in the first place.

17. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am not concerned about a faster hole shot, slower on plane speeds, or water coming over the transom. I was trying to give a complete description of the situation. I am trying to lessen the squat so my skeg does not hit the bottom as often. If I can do that and get the other benefits it’s icing on the cake!

18. Member
    Hydralic jack plate
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Hydralic jack plate
    My Atlas is a hydraulic . I typically have it raised just under 3 “ for optimal performance. I can jack it all the way up and barely lose water pressure but steering is not great then. On a different note, the transom does have aggressive angle, so the 12” setback does put the motor further down and with more negative trim. I can get up on plane fine without trimming all the way down. If I run with trim all the way down, the bow pushes down and you are not running on the pad. I have thought about putting on a shim that is reversed to reduce trim angle and raising the motor one more hole. Going up one hole may cause some loss of rough water capabilities, since the motor will not go down as far when I move the jackplate all the way down. It would give me another inch raising the motor. Of course, if I added the shim, I would lose some of height added by raising the motor one hole with the extra set back.

20. Member
    So I am right back to “will I be able to see the reduction of the squat with the addition of a foil…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast