Poles - on their own switch or just run power thru master battery switch

I've seen some posts where folks are running their poles/talons/etc on a separate switch, while others just run them off the standard master battery switch.

As I understand it the purpose is to kill power so they can't be accidently deployed while traveling, etc. Are there other reasons to do it? Since I'm re-doing wiring and hydraulic tubing etc in the bilge figure this is the time to add a switch if needed.

2. Member
    Run mine through the master battery switch.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Some run it on a seperate switch for 2 reasons ... some like to keep there livewells on recirculate if bringing fish home . 2nd reason is the master cutoff in the boat doesn't have enough free amps left with everything they currently have going to it (all depends on the switch and its rating. 40 amps per pole . Accidentally deployment while traveling, long term storage as well as power should be severed to pumps before plugging in a onboard charger are the main reasons to have them on a cutoff switch.

Ok, yeah I don't think any would apply to me, I never bring fish home, ie on the trailer in livewell is what I assume you mean. Currently using two Blue Sea 300A switches, one for boat/motor/poles and one for electronics only - so don't think I have amp issue. I just happen to have extra Blue Sea switch so was thinking about putting them separate - but doesn't sound like for me there is really any compelling reason to do so. Thanks

Re the 40amps - my 8ft Pro II's CM1's have 30 amp fuses... so did someone put wrong fuses in at some point in past, or do the older pumps have lower amp rating?

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Ok, yeah I don't think any would apply to me, I never bring fish home, ie on the trailer in livewell is what I assume you mean. Currently using two Blue Sea 300A switches, one for boat/motor/poles and one for electronics only - so don't think I have amp issue. I just happen to have extra Blue Sea switch so was thinking about putting them separate - but doesn't sound like for me there is really any compelling reason to do so. Thanks

Re the 40amps - my 8ft Pro II's CM1's have 30 amp fuses... so did someone put wrong fuses in at some point in past, or do the older pumps have lower amp rating?
    the pro II and sportsman II run 30 amp while the blades use 40 amp . So 60 amps free on switch for those 2 modelsif duel vs 80 amps free on switch for duel blades

Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    the pro II and sportsman II run 30 amp while the blades use 40 amp . So 60 amps free on switch for those 2 modelsif duel vs 80 amps free on switch for duel blades
    Thanks.

I added in a Master switch to my old boat and my Blades run through it as well as everything else.
    been like that almost 2 years and have had zero issues.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post

Believe 40A is for Blades and the newer pumps. I have Blades and 40A fuses.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD