Thread: 7mm-08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar

7mm-08

Guys I can’t find ammo. Anyone have any luck? I found a couple boxes for 75 bucks and 25 shipping. Looking for 139g in some sort of partition tip. Prefer Barnes or hornady

[QUOTE=haftafish22;12740022]Guys I can’t find ammo. Anyone have any luck? I found a couple boxes for 75 bucks and 25 shipping. Looking for 139g in some sort of partition tip. Prefer Barnes or hornady[/QUOTE

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-precision-hunter-7mm-08-remington-ammo-150-grain-eld-x-85578-p-59059.aspx
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-rem...ifle-139grains
    You're not looking hard enough unless you don't want to pay those ridiculous prices

4. Member
    I have seen some in stores but it is nowhere near as plentiful as it’s thirty caliber parent.

5. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-rem...ifle-139grains
    You're not looking hard enough unless you don't want to pay those ridiculous prices

so I went to your link, and then was redirected to a website when I clicked on the ammo and says limited quantity. So I ordered 2 boxes and it says can’t fulfill order, to modify. So I dropped to 1 box and it said it again lmao. This is what I have ran into multiple times.

another note, anyone ever shot fiocci rifle ammo?

6. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Big Al;12740081]
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Guys I can’t find ammo. Anyone have any luck? I found a couple boxes for 75 bucks and 25 shipping. Looking for 139g in some sort of partition tip. Prefer Barnes or hornady[/QUOTE

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-precision-hunter-7mm-08-remington-ammo-150-grain-eld-x-85578-p-59059.aspx

need a faster lighter round. Shooting out of a youth gun with short barrel. Performance drops substantially from typical out of this gun.

[QUOTE=haftafish22;12740318]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

need a faster lighter round. Shooting out of a youth gun with short barrel. Performance drops substantially from typical out of this gun.
    140gr is a potent pill. I have only fired at 2 deer at 200+ yards (deer standing and I had a rest) neither took another step. And that was from a lil Model 7
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

8. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    [QUOTE=vatreefarmer;12740362]
    140gr is a potent pill. I have only fired at 2 deer at 200+ yards (deer standing and I had a rest) neither took another step. And that was from a lil Model 7
    yes, agreed I am looking for the 139/140 the link was for a 150 @2770 I believe

9. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Thinking from the post above, the speed isn’t bad.

anyway, this is the round I’m really looking for, it’s a tack driver in this gun

federal premium with Barnes tSX in 139g

10. Member
    A 150 cup and core will perform just fine at 7-08 velocities. Especially inside of 200. IMO 140 is ideal for 7-08 and the 150s are best with 280 and 150+ are best in the magnums but in reality a 140-160 will work in all of them.

If you were local I would load some for you.

I found a box of Win Deer Season XP 140gr in my ammo drawer that I probably won't use. And it looks to be available here as well @$42 a box

https://www.mackspw.com/Winchester-X...Deer-Season-XP
    Last edited by vatreefarmer; 11-08-2022 at 10:15 PM.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

12. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    A 150 cup and core will perform just fine at 7-08 velocities. Especially inside of 200. IMO 140 is ideal for 7-08 and the 150s are best with 280 and 150+ are best in the magnums but in reality a 140-160 will work in all of them.

shooting out of a 16” barrel, and when chrono shot, the three different rounds I have fire all performed almost 300fps less than what was advertised.

13. Member
    shooting out of a 16” barrel, and when chrono shot, the three different rounds I have fire all performed almost 300fps less than what was advertised.
    That is to be expected. My comment was more along the lines that impact velocities will be adequate to allow those bullets to do their job properly within a few hundred yards. even if going a few hundred fps slower than what is printed on the box.

14. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post

have you ever shot the 120’s? I’m not sure how they are but sounds like would be a better youth round. Maybe not?

15. Member
    I have not but I have loaded lighter than normal 110 or 120 gr single shot pistol bullets that sierra used to make in a 270 for a youth rifle. When you go light the bullets work fine as long as you keep velocities low enough and they are not a varmit bullet. Spitting those same bullets out at 3300 and hitting a deer at 20 yards could be disastrous.

Bullets made for the 7-30 waters would be wonderful for a youth load when loaded to the right velocity.

so I went to your link, and then was redirected to a website when I clicked on the ammo and says limited quantity. So I ordered 2 boxes and it says can’t fulfill order, to modify. So I dropped to 1 box and it said it again lmao. This is what I have ran into multiple times.

another note, anyone ever shot fiocci rifle ammo?
    That sucks. I've never bought from ammoseek but my friend has. The problem is there are so many buyers that they can't keep the web page accurate. I've bought from Target Sports many times. Their web page is very accurate.

17. Member
    The Barnes bullet you said you were looking for is a solid copper bullet, in order to expand properly those need significantly more velocity than a lead bullet. Rule of thumb is don’t shoot at anything where the impact velocity will be less than 2200 or 2300 ft./s. If you maintain enough velocity they expand reliably and are extremely effective, main benefit being they penetrate extremely well since they retain almost 100% of their weight, And they destroy very little meat since the wound cavity is pretty narrow compared to lead.. This means with copper you usually want to go down in bullet weight compared to lead, and use a ballistic calculator to see what range the velocity drops below threshold and stay inside that. I’ve had very good luck with Barnes 120 grain in 7 mm 08, on deer size game I’ve had all quick kills. I know a number of people that have shot elk with 120gr ttsx bullets. If you’re looking at a solid bullet, I would not be at all afraid, in fact I would prefer it, if the bullet were less than the standard weight for a lead bullet in the same caliber.
    Also, ammo seek is just a search engine, it’s not who you’re buying from. There have been a lot of scams that I’ve seen and really really really bad web retailers so beware, but there is ammo out there if you search for it. I had a hard time getting ammo for my 7 mm 08 this fall and ended up taking a different rifle on my trip earlier this season. If you’re just looking for a box or so to zero and shoot a deer I can probably help, hit me up. If you need more I probably can’t help much.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 11-10-2022 at 07:02 AM.

18. Member
    Quick look on ammoseek, optics planet has Barnes 120 gr TTsx, which is going to be extremely similar to the federal/Barnes load you said you prefer. It’s 40 something dollars a box, but you’re gonna pay that these days for any premium ammo.
    Hornady ELDx 150 grain loads are very high-BC bullets designed for extreme long range, they will carry velocity to longer range than a lighter bullet, but those bullets are very explosive at close range (200 and less-ish) and will probably destroy quite a lot of meat. It’s good ammo though, and a lot of people use it successfully. Given the choice I would probably choose the regular Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 139 grSST bullet. Also a great deer bullet.

My wife shoots a 7mm-08 and when i bought the gun for her a few years ago I got her some Hornaday 120gr low recoil ammo. It runs really good through the gun but man it is super hard to find.
    We have managed over the last year to stock up on 139gr and 150gr and I have like 2 boxes worth of the 120 stuff so if she target shoots any she shoots the 139gr stuff and I jsut run a couple 120 rounds through for a zero and shes good to go for a while.
    Its a nice caliber but man its tough to find stuff for.
    But at the same time I had just as hard of a time finding stuff for my 270win. I finally managed to find enough of what I want but it was pretty tough.
    I have the 6.5 Creedmore that I can find stuff for just about anywhere so if we just go to fun shoot I normally take it. it is just a cheap Savage axis gun but man it is really accurate. Im going to do a little work to it and it will probably be my main rifle.

20. Banned
    It seems like any ammo that is available in any kind of quantity are 9mm, 5.56, .45acp and .22lr. That is where handloading comes in handy. But even handloading components like primers are tough to find around my neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast