Excessive water in bilge

I just got my boat on the water...finally (see other threads for the adventure). It worked reasonably well. Still have work to do but it is useable at least.

When I pulled it out of the water and pulled the plug, I was disappointed to see water coming out of the bilge. This is 2007 20i. I'll do the normal hunt-n-seek for the problem, but does anyone know of a common issue this may be?

First answer.... boat plug was in and it seals well.

Live well leaks? Looks like previous owner tried to apply caulk/sealant at the top of the sponsons just below the rub rail... known issue?
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by spinkick63 View Post
    Looks like previous owner tried to apply caulk/sealant at the top of the sponsons just below the rub rail... known issue?
    Yes this is a known issue with older skeeters mine included

As for live wells one thing I found was the Flow-Rite quick connects on the hoses can and do come lose and even though it looks fine it can be leaking especially when in rough water – make sure the red ring is all the way in the locked position on each

If nothing is noticeable try filling the livewells and wait an hour and see if they lose water
    Then fill the bilge and see if there are any wet spots on the pavement after an hour

If it is the caulk between the cap and hull you can spend a day in calm water and not let any water wash up the back when coming off plane and if you don’t have any water in the bilge then there is the culprit
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Cool. Appreciate the info. Will start looking this weekend.

Thank you
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

4. Member
    Check your fill pumps for cracks. Have replaced both of mine in the last couple of years because they were cracked and leaking.

5. Member
    will do. Thanks
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Check your fill pumps for cracks. Have replaced both of mine in the last couple of years because they were cracked and leaking.
    Different boat but have done mine twice

7. Member
    Roger that. I have a large aluminum plate that has the charger attached and Power Pole hydraulic pumps right in front of that. This is going to be... fun.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

8. Member
    Mine was a crack in one of the fill pumps. So small I could barely see it. Replaced it and have bee dry ever since.
    Scott Smith
    Blanchard, OK
    2014 FX 20 Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Could the fill pumps leak without turning them on? That particular day was a test day for the boat. Didn't get to do much fishing so I never turned on livewell pumps.
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinkick63 View Post
    Could the fill pumps leak without turning them on? That particular day was a test day for the boat. Didn't get to do much fishing so I never turned on livewell pumps.
    Yes, they’re connected directly to the transom so a crack will let water in whether they’re running or not.

11. Member
    I own a 2008 20i and was experiencing the same problem. I checked it by keeping my live well valves closed/open when in the water to see if that was the source. It was. Then I opened each one individually to pinpoint which side to repair. It was my port side valve that had the issue, but while I was in there I serviced both valves. You can purchase repair kits for the flow rite valves. I also had a cracked quick connect fitting. You can buy those also.

12. Member
    Thanks for the info. Two things so far... The bilge pump out (through hull) fitting and another one (not sure what it is for) are broken. Hunting replacements for them now. Had to take the back of the boat apart to look for any other potential leaks. Disaster in progress. :)
    2007 Skeeter 20i
    2007 Yamaha VZ250TLR

13. Member
    When I bought my current Skeeter I ended up pulling all the batteries out and had a friend back it in the water while I laid on the back with a flashlight to find my leak. Screw holes for the transducer the previous owner removed.