Yamaha 250 sho winterize?

I am keeping my boat and motor in my heated shop over the winter, is there anything i should be doing besides adding stabilizer? I will change all filters and oils in the spring.

2. Member
    If you lose power and shop gets cold and there is any water in your lower unit it may freeze. Best to drain a little gear oil out to make sure no water, then top off.. easy quick task. Not sure what techs recommend on fogging?? (I would also like to know as I am in your situation too).
    2018 X21 Pro
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    12" Hydraulic Atlas
    Minn Kota 112# Ultrex

3. Member
    Lot of different opinions here on the Stabilizer topic. I am one who does not use it. I do not have a Sho but my winterize list includes filling up the tanks to the tippy top (to the fill hose so almost no oxygen contact with fuel surface). Drain lower unit to ensure no water, or drain a little at least (I like to drain and fill with new every season). Check any water seperators you might have and drain any water from them. Make sure no water anywhere in hull or live well hoses, pumps etc. charge batteries to full and unplug any potential drains like poles. Mine sits a while so I like to fog pistons. I also put my trailer on jack stands to keep tires from flat spotting. Clean and cover boat. You may not feel the need to do all of this as yours is heated and may not be in storage as long. But as prevention say you would lose power or something the main thing is make sure there no water anywhere that could freeze and expand, that’s how bad things happen.

4. Member
    I treat fuel with Star Tron last few trips out (always run Ring free). I run my gas down to as far as safely possible and usually drain the residual after last trip and use it in my snow blower. I change the Yamaha 10 micron fuel filter in the bilge, the under the cowling fuel filter. I also change the oil and filter and drain the lower unit gear oil and replace with fresh lube. I grease all zerk fittings and change spark plugs. I leave my batteries in the boat and plug in the charger once a month for about a day then unplug charger. My rig sets in an unheated garage for 4 1/2 months.

5. Member
    I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt. I have a 2010 SHO that I've only had a little over a year. I took on winterization for the first time by myself this year as all the shops around me are backed up, short mechanics, etc. I spent too much time researching what experts suggest (as many as I could find). What I settled after reading about 100 opionions and going the most conservative route included:
    - Static flush
    - Engine oil and filter change
    - Lower unit gear lube change
    - Fuel filter replacement
    - Spark plug replacement
    - Stabilizing the gas
    - Fogging the engine
    - Adding grease to the steering tube bushing zerk fittings
    - Carefully draining any water from the lower unit

Hope this helps.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2010 Yamaha 250 SHO