Tricking ECU to think motor is in gear

Trying to get the motor to idle on all 6 cylinders and still be in neutral. I added a switch in series with the factory switch thats on the end of the shift linkage on the motor. Didnt do the trick so im thinking there must be another switch at the shift lever. Has anyone attempted this or have a wiring diagram they could share? 2007 225 HPDI series 2. Thanks
    2011 ZX225
    Helix 10 MEGA SI front and back
    Ultrex 112 MDI I Pilot Link
    Lakemaster +

2. Member
    the reason it is set up this way is to keep the gearcase intact dont think it is a good idea to monkey with it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    the reason it is set up this way is to keep the gearcase intact dont think it is a good idea to monkey with it.
    I was told by a Yamaha tech it is to help reduce emissions

4. Member
    Following

5. Member
    horse crap on the emission deal

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    horse crap on the emission deal
    A V-6 engine designed exclusively for HPDI offered far better fuel economy than existing direct injection models thanks to its extremely light weight and compact size. The engine also incorporated a function to cut fuel to two of the cylinders while idling, which served to improve fuel efficiency and lower emissions

I'm sure it's horse crap like the GM AFM motors, but here it is in black and white

7. Member

8. Member
    It does not do the motor any good if warmed up in Neutral no. 2 and 4 not warming up like the rest.
    Would be far better if it could warm up all cylinders in Neutral especially in a tournament start, then you won't look like a racehorse that wants to jump the gate.

9. Member
    UPDATE
    Thanks for the responses. I think Ive determined that the micro switch at the shift lever is the one that actually switches between 4 and 6 cylinders based on the position of the shift lever. Not sure what the switch at the end of the linkage at the motor does, but it also opens when the lever is shifted into gear. I added a switch in series with each of these factory switches, by installing a double pole (DP) switch. I'll test it late next week and provide an update.

yam911 thanks for the schematic. Would you have the legend that corresponds to the numbers on the schematic?

ChampioN BASS thats exactly why i want to get this to work.

ssmith boats by having the additional switch, I can warm the engine up in idle running on all 6 cylinders, then flip the switch and it will be idling on 4 cylinders to put it into gear.
    2011 ZX225
    Helix 10 MEGA SI front and back
    Ultrex 112 MDI I Pilot Link
    Lakemaster +