Need new battery for a 2017 z18

So I have a 2017 z18 with a 175 pro xs that I really like and works great for me. I fish a lot of electric only lakes and I run too 12” grafts and one 9”. I have Active target and point one, and power pole. I run a 36v ultrex with deep cycle interstate batteries, those work great and I can run all weekend on a charge. What my problem is I run all the other stuff off the crank battery. It’s just a normal Interstate battery but runs low on voltage after 5ish hr of running everything. I really want a Lithium battery that can run everything and can be the crank battery as well. What battery would you guys recommend? And will work ok with the pro xs? I understand I’ll need a charger for it as well.

Cranking amps are important to ensure you have proper power to start you motor but the most often overlooked marine cranking battery specification is reserve capacity. Think of reserve capacity as a fuel tank. The larger the fuel tank the more power it can store, hence you want a battery with at least 200 or more minutes of reserve capacity. To achieve that I recommend a group 31 AGM but look at the specs to ensure proper amps and 200 or more minutes of reserve capacity.

If you want a total beast of a battery look at the X2 or Odyssey. If looking at budget friendly then East Penn Manufacturing makes a battery and 3 different companies sell it. Its the same exact battery with a different label. Even though its the same exact battery each company has a different price due to warranty they offer and volume of batteries they purchase from East Penn. The battery is sold buy Sam's Club with a Duracell sticker, its sold buy O'Rileys Auto as a marine and as a farm and fleet battery and its sold buy Deka and they call it an Intimidator. Its a good battery but if you want the top of the food chain get the X2 or Odyssey. Be prepared to pay but they are both a great battery just not budget friendly like the East Penn battery but you do get more power and reserve with the X2 and Odyssey.
    Last edited by JR19; 11-11-2022 at 10:49 AM.

3. Member
    You can’t go wrong with the X2 from Batteries Plus https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...m#yotpo-review. I run 4 12’s and the Active Target and never had an issue with the X2.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

4. Member
    Thank you for the responses guys. Do you guys think a lithium battery would be safe to use with my mercury motor and charging system it has?

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Thank you for the responses guys. Do you guys think a lithium battery would be safe to use with my mercury motor and charging system it has?
    Yes/No....the term lithium battery is a general statement. Until recently I did not know there was multiple types of lithium batteries. Please do some research on the subject. I'll tell you what I think I remember about it. There is one type that will shut down everything when the input voltage reaches X amount. If you have that as a cranking battery and your run your boat motor up to wide open throttle there is a possibility the input voltage to charge the battery can get high enough the battery shuts off and the result is it kills the boat motor. Reputable boat dealers and battery manufactures know what type lithium not to use as a cranking battery but they are some out there who simply think a lithium battery is just another version on a 12V battery.

How I know about there being multiple types of lithium batteries is buy reading it here on BBC, plus I vaguely know a guy who bought the wrong battery and put it on his boat and it would shut down on long runs at wide open throttle. He found a lithium battery at a good price online and ordered it. He got lucky and they let him return it and for more $ he was able to upgrade to the correct type lithium battery. If you remember its not been but just a few years ago lithium batteries in boats was not recommended because of fire issues during the charging process. That's because the wrong type lithium battery and or charger was being used...and the charger is another concern. Make sure your battery charger has a setting that allows you to charge lithium or its a smart charger and can sense what type battery you have and send the correct charge profile to the battery. A lead acid, AGM and Lithium have different charge profiles so you want to ensure your battery charger send the correct charge to whatever type battery you have. Again do your research but I want to think in a boat you are suppose to use a Lithiumn LiFePo4 type battery.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Check out our 12v-100Ah heated All Purpose, great cranking battery

Call me if you have any questions

Bill

205-965-8436

7. Member
    Thank you JR19!! That’s the info I was looking to get. I new there was a little more to it.. chargers ect.