Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Winter Upgrades Help

I've got a 2006 TR-20X that I'm putting some upgrades in this winter. One of which is a Helix 7 on the bow. Ultimately, I'd like to flush mount it in the current place of the old graph. I know that's a big modification/fabrication, but looking for some ideas and pics if anyone's done this. And if it's easier to just bracket mount it, what/how to fill the old hole?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

2. Member
    Personally, I prefer having the gimbal on my graphs so I can remove them when boat is at shop & adjust their angle if sun glare is bad.

I mounted a ram mount in the upper right corner of the TM tray rather than an over the pedal mount because I have my TM wired so I can remove/ swap it out with a spare.

Easy to cover the flush mount hole with a piece of hdpe cutting board or a 1/8” aluminum plate (both are easy to fabricate). Ashmore marine products also make plates.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    I'm not sure if the TR20x has the same bow configuration as my 21x hp, I removed the entire vinyl wrapped panel and replaced it with aluminum, and used the stock Lowrance bracket to mount a 9 Carbon. I took pictures of a lot of boats here and there before I got to work mine. I'd say to flush mount a 7, a panel would have to be made, and some cutting of the fiberglass behind the panel to fit a 7 in place of the smaller Lowrance I removed. Flush mounting would have you stuck with a position, glare and angles could be an issue like mentioned by Lightning 6.

Hull 5.jpgHull 6.jpgHull 7.jpgHull 9.jpg

4. Member
    This was the factory setup/ the new to me version.

Hull 1.jpg

5. Member
    8B515E57-334E-4F6F-9FD8-91DBC34D1E77.jpegACDA358B-92D5-4979-9F79-4CCFD8360F3D.jpeg
    Believe the 2006 20X has same bow shroud as my 2007 196. If so, flush mounting a 7” graph would likely require relocating the anchor light & tilt switches.

Good luck with your upgrade….but recommend giving consideration to maintaining the gimbal….glare & reflected light can ruin your day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    I'm not sure if the TR20x has the same bow configuration as my 21x hp, I removed the entire vinyl wrapped panel and replaced it with aluminum, and used the stock Lowrance bracket to mount a 9 Carbon. I took pictures of a lot of boats here and there before I got to work mine. I'd say to flush mount a 7, a panel would have to be made, and some cutting of the fiberglass behind the panel to fit a 7 in place of the smaller Lowrance I removed. Flush mounting would have you stuck with a position, glare and angles could be an issue like mentioned by Lightning 6.

Hull 5.jpgHull 6.jpgHull 7.jpgHull 9.jpg
    I like this idea. Not sure that I'm talented enough to make the same deal with aluminum. How thick? What did you put around it (the black seal)? I'll take a pic of my front plate. My 20X is an HP as well. I have the trolling motor plug as a part of the plate.

I get the glare and angles thing, guess I've just gotten used to changing where I stand. Oh, and I do like the ability to be able to foot op the trim when needed.

7. Member
    A couple advantages to the RAM mount are:
    1-I can pull the graph & gimbal off when I travel with my cover on.
    2-I can fold the graph over flat/ face down onto the carpet to protect it when running in rough water.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    A couple advantages to the RAM mount are:
    1-I can pull the graph & gimbal off when I travel with my cover on.
    2-I can fold the graph over flat/ face down onto the carpet to protect it when running in rough water.
    Makes sense. Still getting there with the idea.

Pics of my current bow setup.

Bow.jpgBow 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by countyrookie; 11-08-2022 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Resized pics

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countyrookie View Post
    I like this idea. Not sure that I'm talented enough to make the same deal with aluminum. How thick? What did you put around it (the black seal)? I'll take a pic of my front plate. My 20X is an HP as well. I have the trolling motor plug as a part of the plate.

I get the glare and angles thing, guess I've just gotten used to changing where I stand. Oh, and I do like the ability to be able to foot op the trim when needed.
    The aluminum is 1/8 thick. The seal around it is Trimlock, same trim that is probably on the side edge of your consoles by the step up to the front deck. I didn't have the trolling motor plug in mine. The switches could have been easily re-used, but I came across that Tracker combo switch and like the looks and fit of it. The switches and plugs are just extra holes in the plate. It was nice to put everything where I wanted. I use the rod butt to activate that trim switch on the bow now when needed.

I took lots of pictures at boat distributors/ sale from every make and model, put all the ideas together and chased parts that worked for me. Bending the aluminum wasn't real easy. Cutting, drilling, finishing it was no problem.
    Last edited by XXXLTRP; 11-08-2022 at 07:51 PM.

10. Member
    I've got an 07 TR21X HP with the same factory bow setup. I fabricated some 1/4" Aluminum into brackets like you see made by BBT, Precision Sonar, etc. in order to mount x2 12" Helix Humminbirds

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8i...usp=share_link
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/10U0...usp=share_link
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-J...usp=share_link
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by got_musky View Post
    I've got an 07 TR21X HP with the same factory bow setup. I fabricated some 1/4" Aluminum into brackets like you see made by BBT, Precision Sonar, etc. in order to mount x2 12" Helix Humminbirds
    WOW, that's a lot of screen! Thanks for the idea. Care to adopt a Sailor?

12. Member
    You find your way up in this neck of the woods, I'd be glad to take you out (as long as the water is not solid!). Thank you for your service, sir!

2007 Triton TR21XHP

13. Member
    BTW - I forgot to mention, if you are running any new electronics to the bow, or anywhere for that matter I highly suggest to run new, upsized wiring from the battery compartment to that location. You can check out what I did here:

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1189614

2007 Triton TR21XHP

14. Member
    You can also use 1/2” HDPE board as an alternative to fabricating something from aluminum. That is what I used. I bought a 2’x4’ sheet off Amazon and used the existing plate as a guide to cut it out with a router. It works great and can be done in less than 30 minutes.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    You can also use 1/2” HDPE board as an alternative to fabricating something from aluminum. That is what I used. I bought a 2’x4’ sheet off Amazon and used the existing plate as a guide to cut it out with a router. It works great and can be done in less than 30 minutes.
    Do you guys think 1/8" HDPE would suffice? I was thinking 1/4" for some reason, but I'm looking at the 1/8" aluminum posts.

16. Member
    1/8” hdpe will be too thin. It might not crack….but it will ‘mis form’ in heat due to the weight of the graph.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    1/8” hdpe will be too thin. It might not crack….but it will ‘mis form’ in heat due to the weight of the graph.
    So definitely 1/2, or will 1/4 be fine? I was thinking of the console as well as the bow.

18. Member
    I used 1/2” hdpe and it works great. It is rock solid.
    Dave
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

19. Member
    Here is a picture of the units at the bow. Sorry that it’s upside down
    83919BC7-5B5A-4997-AAB3-684C275CD104.jpeg
    Dave