Thumbs Up Water pump question 82' Merc 150 BM

Hello,

Please dont flame me for where i bought parts.... for now, i will most likely get all my stuff from euro marine...

So i recently acquired what is a 1982 Mercury BM 150hp sn# 6101202 / '82 merc 150 b-max, boat hasnt run for years

So i bought a water pump from scamazon based on the merc p/n kit.

It doesnt fit. The water pump base gland that retains the o-ring is too large, compared to the unit that came out.

I told my buddy the issue & he said, are you sure the whole lower unit is original & I said no.

The boat was owned by numerous people over the years.

Anyway, the o-ring gland that i pulled out measures ~56.97mm & the kit that came measures ~59.62

The new kit looks very similar & bolt holes lined up, etc... However the o-ring gland is too large.

Where can I get / locate this gland dimension or see a cross reference of such?

What is the proper gland diameter for a 1982 Mercury BM 150hp sn# 6101202 ?

I dont know if the lower unit / water pump assembly is original for the '82 merc 150hp BM or not, that is why i ask about the gland diamaters.

Looking to the members for advice. TIA
    new_4 kit pic.jpg
    new_2.jpgnew_3.jpgOG_1.jpgOG_2.jpg
    Last edited by aby n; 11-07-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Get a Mercury or quicksilver pump kit, return or toss the one you have
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Thanks for the post.

How do I know if i'm buying the correct replacement part for what i have?

Just because it's from Merc or QS, i am only assuming the parts i have in-hand are indeed for the model specified.

4. Member
    If you buy from a Mercury dealer with your serial number you will get the right part.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    yeah, i thought i pulled the pn from the dealer website. Looks like i should have received this 42579A3 base plate. instead of the kit pn shown earlier of 42579A4

I dont know the differences between the kits.

with my motors sn, this is what the website claimed, pic below . I guess just because the matching # is on the box, doesnt mean it will fit.

euro pn_1.JPG
    Last edited by aby n; 11-07-2022 at 05:48 PM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're referencing old part numbers. When looking up parts on OUR website, the part number supersedes to the latest part number AS YOU PLACE IT IN THE CART.

Anything before that is merely information as of the date of publication of the original parts catalog.

And you already know what happens when you use the Scamatron stuff.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Not my motor but just wanted to tell Don than you sir for all that you do on the BBC. We appreciate you!
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty