Mercury Quickleen Question...?

2019 250 Pro XS Serial #2B531827

Good day all. Just wonder, can I use quickleen in a stonger concentrated mix?

thx

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes... but usually not necessary unless there is something that has caused excessive carbon buildup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. mikesxpress
    If your using E10 fuel, you have all the "cleaning" you need from the ethanol.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If your using E10 fuel, you have all the "cleaning" you need from the ethanol.
    Just to be clear- I respectfully disagree with this comment.

E-10 does indeed have cleaning properties, but does NOT specifically address carbon in the fashion that Quickleen does.

While I do respect Mike's opinion and his expertise as a Mechanical Engineer (especially in the area of firearms accessories), I'll go out on a limb and say that I probably see quite a few more engines, and a myriad more fuel systems and sets of injectors each year on which to base opinions and recommendations.

The recommendations offered here are based on tried, tested, and repeatedly proven results over a 15+ year period, and more than 25k injectors. While that may not make me an expert on the topic... I will say that my little niche of the market holds a little knowledge and weight.

BUT... I still learn SOMETHING new every day.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I'm with ya Don. I too value Mike's opinion but a bottle of Quickleen lasts me a year and costs ~$12 a bottle. I get that amount of piece of mind using it.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Don, can you talk a little about carbon buildup in the 4 strokes. I understand about the Opti’s with direct injection, but why do the 4 strokes have carbon issues or do they? Thank you.

7. Member
    It is not the direct injection that increases carbon build up. I suspect the direct injection might make carbon build up a little less. It is the burning of oil that causes the 2 stroke to be more prone to carbon build up. I too wonder why a 4 stroke would be any worse at carbon build up than your automobile engine?

8. Member
    I suspect the cool water temps as a coolant compared to a closed system (about 180-200 degrees) could contribute to some carbon build up.

Just a guess on my part.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    It is not the direct injection that increases carbon build up. I suspect the direct injection might make carbon build up a little less. It is the burning of oil that causes the 2 stroke to be more prone to carbon build up. I too wonder why a 4 stroke would be any worse at carbon build up than your automobile engine?
    A tremendous amount depends on how the particular engine is being run the majority of the time. An engine that does a lot of idling, or a lot of WOT running is going to make significantly more carbon than one that warms up and spends most of it's runtime in the 3500-4800 RPM range.

Another contributor is engine temperature- debris in the cooling system and/or thermostat can make one of these engines run significantly cooler. These engines do utilize an O2 sensor, and can trim fuel to compensate for a variety of conditions. However- an over-propped engine is another thing that will add significantly to carbon buildup.

And ignoring varying fuel blends/Rvp's, even if the engine does come up to temp, it needs to run for a reasonable time in that mid RPM range in order to remove any condensation in the oil and evaporate the small amounts of fuel that DO migrate past piston rings in any engine.

A four-stroke that is running right doesn't burn or use oil usually which means less carbon to begin with. They will develop carbon build-up at a much slower rate but does occur. How many times do you treat your car for carbon build-up? Never?? These are still port injection engines so the fuel does clean the valves upon delivery.

Adding to what Mike said, Top tier fuels do burn cleaner (so they say) than non top tier fuels because they have different detergents to help REDUCE carbon build-up.

No need for a stronger concentration, go by what merc reccomends on the bottle and it'll be just fine if you feel the need.