How is MEGA Live now?

...with all the updates. Think about adding a live system at some point. Any difference on control heads? I have a G3N Helix 12.

I've read about it not performing as well as the Garmin system, freezing up, etc.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Has always been good on Solix and Apex. On Helix, there were freezing issues but that was fixed in the last Helix update, which specifically addressed the freezing issue when displaying Mega Live full screen.

No need to comment on Mega Live vs. Livescope, becuase that's more of a religious discussion. Any live imaging is only as good as the amount of time you invest in learning how to properly operate it. There are those who still claim they can't see their lures more than a few feet out but that is totally bogus. I troll with the Mega Live and can see the swivels connecting the leaders on my lures at 50' out.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I troll with the Mega Live and can see the swivels connecting the leaders on my lures at 50' out.
    That's pretty impressive.

4. Member
    I have the same graph G3N Helix 12 and was out Sunday fishing on a local lake and am still amazed how good it looks and how much I can see. Easily can see the dropshot weight and small worm out 60', and probably could see it our further but there is really no reason for me to cast that out further. The last update got rid of all the freezing issues. Couldn't be happier, as it all works together and I don't have to have a mess of units on the front deck......

5. Member
    Much improved after the last update.

6. Member
    ive had the mega live and the garmin lvs34 and its not as good as the garmin lvs34. the target separation and the range of the lvs 34 is where its beats the mega live by a good margin. you can see fish at 135 foot and structure at 150 foot with the garmin.

7. Member
    I have heard about the distance difference. What MFD/Head units are you using to see detail at 100’ or more? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I love the ML image but I agree range is the issue I am having - would love to see it better past 60’
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

9. Member
    I've had and used both. Had issues with both. I consider myself pretty good at using and dialing in these units. Bottom line for me overall the Garmin LS was better. Humminbird ML had improved for me overall with several updates up until the latest one. Never could track my bait with the latest update as well as I could before it. I really, really wanted the ML to be good but it just wasn't as good as LS for me and my style of fishing. Sold my ML and updated my LS transducer to the LVS34. Works for me.
    Now I still think HB is way ahead of the competition in side imaging and my down images are the best I've seen.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Always like mine but even more after getting targetlock
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

I don't think many (at this time) are going to argue Mega Live is better than LS, but for integration within my system and Target Lock, Mega Live is the best FFS for me.

12. Member
    HBML is awesome. I have caught so many fish with it. I am tech savvy and have it dialed in. It tracks large lures inside of 60’ OK. My buddy runs the new Garmin LVS34 and he can see drop shot rigs 60’ out, no way can my ML do that. My drop shots need to be inside of 15’ for me to see them. Seeing fish is no problem. If you already have HB graphs, it’s a no brainer, get ML, it will catch you a ton of fish and is very fun to use. HB is a step behind Garmin in live imaging, but it’s still an awesome tool and definitely worth buying.

13. Member
    The integration with the other Humminbird products is the strength of ML. I am sure it will continue to improve.