Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help... Had an accident with boat and trailer

Hey guys... Coming home yesterday evening from fishing and got hit by a car on the port side of the trailer. The trailer is totaled. It ripped both axles off pivot bolt bent, tongue twisted, middle and back crossmember broke, bunks broke and mounts bent etc. The car hit me at about 40-45 MPH. The is not a lot of damage to the boat that I can see, but I am no fiberglass guy. I see 5-8 gouges to raw fiberglass, cracks on the transom where motor mounts in the splash well, possible slight shift of hydraulic jack plate, broke the mounting tabs of my battery charger, etc. It also bent my motor totor as well. Also, my boat is wrapped (I wrap boat for a living). I guess I should add there is a police report on this, and the police and the other driver agree it was her fault. The boat is a 2012 Bass Cat Puma FTD

I have never been through this so looking for some advice, suggestions, do's and don'ts. I have come up with a few questions for you guys and please add any information you would like please.

I would like to remove the wrap for further inspection. There could be spider cracks or worse hiding below the wrap. Should Ins. pay for this?

How do I get a quote for a new trailer? Does any one know the price of a new trailer?

Who should I get to do repairs?

If it takes 6 months to do repairs, and or parts do I just have to deal with it or does the ins. company have to do something to provide me a boat? I understand this will not be resolved in a week, but 6 months would be unacceptable to me.

Thanks to everyone. Happy fishing!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Sorry for your loss……hopefully you have an agreed value policy. Have not been through a totalled trailer but your insurance adjuster should do the legwork for you. He/ she’ll also coordinate to get the hull delivered to your repair facility.

You can likely speed up the process by identifying the shop that you’ll want to repair the hull. The adjuster will likely rely on the shop’s opinion/ estimate & will authorize the repair as soon as the day it arrives. Basscat can likely provide a recommendation. Not familiar with shops near you but there are 2 good shops in the tidewater. Rising sun yacht repair does the best work but Dave has been swamped. Tyne’s fiberglass does good work & is great to work with. They fixed $11.5k of hull damage for me last year…..started the same day the adjuster gave me his estimate….was ready in 10 business days.

Adjuster will total the trailer. He’ll likely issue you a check for insured value ….. you can speed it up by calling basscat & getting a quote.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Do you have insurance. I am sure they would total the boat and trailer or at least the trailer. They will make you go get repair estimates of course and then they will weight their options and most likely total it. With something like that even if you pull the wrap and see nothing they cracks could show up a year later as they work their way through. The insurance will want to send a surveyor. I know a trailer for my classic that was totaled was around 8500 someone said. Not sure if that is correct or not.
    If you have a newer boat read your contract! Mine had a clause stating that the insurance had to pay out current market value. My insurance company tried to hide that fact. For me that was just over 81K. I paid like 60 for my Classic. My policy was for 60500. So I made out well and was actually able to upgrade. Unfortunately not a single BassCat dealer called me back to order a new BassCat or I'd be rolling in a Puma right now. I called two dealers near me multiple times and each time they said we will call you back in an hour or tomorrow, when we get a chance and never did on multiple occasions. Now I've gone with a different brand.

4. Member
    Does this go under my auto insurance or boat insurance? I do have both.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. Member
    Remove wrap because it will give the best inspection. If there is damage throughout the boat from the hard impact I wouldn’t be surprised if the boat was totaled. Which is what I would hope for. You don’t want to be chasing any issues down the road if the boat isn’t repaired properly.
    sorry about the accident had a good buddy just go through this on a 6month old boat.

You will need to remove wrap, but wait for adjuster to do so. Document the cost of the wrap too.

I would push to get boat totaled.

you can buy back at salvage if you want.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    I replied to your post in the lounge before I read this thread with my experiences dealing with insurance adjusters. Based on what I read here I would suspect that your boat is totaled unfortunately. I wouldn't wish my bad experiences on anyone. Stick to your guns to get fair market value for your losses. Hope you have agreed value or true replacement value insurance. It does cost more but in case of a loss even if caused by someone with minimum or no insurance, you are covered.

8. Member
    I just went through this a while back. (pictures in this thread start at post #13 showthread.php ) First of all need to know if you have agreed value on your boat. If you don't you will take a beating if it is totaled. Boat is 10 years old and will be depreciated heavily. My accident, the driver had no insurance (of course) so my boat insurance took a look and totaled it and wrote me a check for the agreed value less deductible. They in turn will go after the person that hit me, good luck there.
    Boat repair is very expensive and will quickly add up to the depreciated value where your boat insurance company will total it and sell for salvage to recoup part of their loss. If the person that hit you has insurance then your insurance "should" go to bat for you if their insurance tries to jerk you around. The other driver insurance will also try to depreciate the value and compensate you accordingly. The only simple way is to have agreed value in which your boat insurance company will have to make up the difference to assure you get the agreed value. If it is not totaled make sure a qualified entity inspect motor and hull thoroughly. Good luck.

9. Member
    I am almost 100% sure I have and agreed value.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    shoud go under the insurance of the driver that hit you. If not probably under boat insurance.

There definitely could be stress fractures under the gelcoat as that’s where they start. Not just under the wrap, though fractures appear months later when things are impacted. Also they appear across from the impact area because of forces pressing across and placing force on the inside pressing out.

Since it’s apparently not on your insurance, you have a little more strength and use your agency to work with their insurance company.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There definitely could be stress fractures under the gelcoat as that’s where they start. Not just under the wrap, though fractures appear months later when things are impacted. Also they appear across from the impact area because of forces pressing across and placing force on the inside pressing out.

Since it’s apparently not on your insurance, you have a little more strength and use your agency to work with their insurance company.
    Good to know. Do I call a dealer to get a quote on a new trailer?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Yes

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Yes
    Thx
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post

boat. if you haven't called the insurance company to file a claim do so asap. some can try to deny you if you delay reporting.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZethKinnettFishing View Post
    boat. if you haven't called the insurance company to file a claim do so asap. some can try to deny you if you delay reporting.
    I reported it Monday but they said they already had it reported by the other person but was not yet assigned to an adjuster. Have not heard anything from them as of yet. Getting pissed already.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    Just a follow up... My insurance does not wanna touch this unless the other company does not want pay. I have got a hold of the other company (AIC I have never heard of) and the lady does have more than the minimum limits, so that is a good thing.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

18. Member
    If you have good insurance coverage, just go through your own insurance, let them handle the repairs/total loss, and then they will subrogate the other guys insurance after the fact, then you don’t have to get in the middle of it. They can’t not want to do it, that is what you pay them for.

Peel the wrap off, inspect for cracks and damage. Alot more cracks can be seen inspecting at night with a flash light vs just looking in the day light. Inspect inside the boat, put your head up in the rod lockers and boxes in the areas of the accident and inspect all top to bottom cap bolts and glassed over seams, also anything that has a radius inside each box, look inside the bilge at the inside of your sponces, and your splash well area specifically. As for getting the work done I would consult with Richard Mattey at the factory. Probably wouldn't let anyone local touch that if you find alot of work that needs to be done.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

20. Member
    Roger, Sorry to hear this. Best of luck in getting everything put back together (or a new boat!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast