Thread: Safe

Safe

Sorry to use the word Safe when talking investing but don't we all want to be able to sleep at nite. Is there anything that would seem somewhat safe that would have a decent return on investment at this time of so much unknown. Have been dabbling in and out of buying and selling of stocks for many years but so much turmoil in the mkt. at this time.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobassing View Post
    Sorry to use the word Safe when talking investing but don't we all want to be able to sleep at nite. Is there anything that would seem somewhat safe that would have a decent return on investment at this time of so much unknown. Have been dabbling in and out of buying and selling of stocks for many years but so much turmoil in the mkt. at this time.
    If you want to keep the money somewhat liquid you could ladder some short term treasuries or CDs. You can get over 4% on them. Treasury bonds and CDs are about the only thing I would call safe. Some ETF's like SCHD that are dividend focused carry more risk but are probably a little less volatile than owning individual stocks.

3. Member
    I just bought a 5 year fixed annuity from GBU Financial @ 4.3%. They have a A- rating from AM Best, plus they have been in business for over 100 years.

4. Member
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    I just bought a 5 year fixed annuity from GBU Financial @ 4.3%. They have a A- rating from AM Best, plus they have been in business for over 100 years.
    Why not just buy the 5 year treasury that yields 4.33%? You would not be paying any fees.

6. Member
    Regular CD rates @ Schwab ...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Regular CD rates @ Schwab ...

Are those callable though? I have bought several CDs that are yielding higher but are callable. The call doesn't worry me on the short term ones but I have 2-3 CDS/agencies that go out 10-15 years that are callable and I would bet they get called before maturity. That is the one good thing about longer term treasuries even if they yield less depending on what you want to do. I am enjoying these higher rates though. I have a few shorter term ones I laddered that will be maturing soon and I am excited to re-invest them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Good luck!
    Why the “Good Luck” what am I missing? Also I didn’t pay a fee to buy it.

9. Member
    Look at the rates from 3 months to 5 years ... laddering was a very good option.
    Personally, I'll not touch an annuity with my pissing away funds. Green eggs ...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Are those callable though? I have bought several CDs that are yielding higher but are callable.
    Checked the top producer in each column from 1 year to 5 years ... non-callable.
    And there are annual, semi-annual and monthly yields available, just sort thru it.
    Schwab does a good job of providing something for everyone. My favorite broker.

11. Member
    Checked the top producer in each column from 1 year to 5 years ... non-callable.
    And there are annual, semi-annual and monthly yields available, just sort thru it.
    Schwab does a good job of providing something for everyone. My favorite broker.
    My son is with Schwab and I am with TD. They both have a great deal of CD's, bonds etc. to choose from. I have another account at Ameriprise and they literally have about 1/4 of what Schwab and TD offer. And Schwabs SCHD etf is one of the best out there.

12. Member
    Look at the rates from 3 months to 5 years ... laddering was a very good option.
    Personally, I'll not touch an annuity with my pissing away funds. Green eggs ...
    Why not?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Why not just buy the 5 year treasury that yields 4.33%? You would not be paying any fees.
    I can withdraw the interest annually rather than pay a five year accumulation in taxes.

14. Member
    I can withdraw the interest annually rather than pay a five year accumulation in taxes.
    The five year pays you interest semi-annually.

15. Member
    Why not?
    IMO, insurance is the biggest racket out there. Don't like 'em, don't trust 'em.
    Unfortunately, they're either illegal to avoid OR the only crappy option today.
    Given a choice, all of them are on my "do not call" list ... inbound & outbound.

16. Member
    You're not missing..... Ooops.

Normally fishing related... Catch a big'un
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.