Thread: Trim issues

Trim issues

2013 mercury 250 pro xs(2B008910)

When I trim motor up, it doesn’t go all the way up. I can hit the switch again & it will move up just a little. I may have to hit the switch several times to get it up enough to remove transom saver. Other than going all the way up, it seems to work fine. Any idea what’s going on?

low on oil or trim sensor needs recalibration, can be done thru the smartcraft gauge or sensor is bad. Dont think it would behave this way if it was an internal problem with the trim system
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    I checked the oil level. It’s full. I’ll have to find the manual & read up on the smart craft gauge.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Betting this is on a Ranger, isn't it?

You probably have a Trim Limit Kit on the engine, set to limit how far up you can go (so as to help prevent engine damage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yes, this is on a ranger Z520c.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Locate the orange wire (currently disconnected).

With the engine trimmed FULL DOWN (and stalled there for 3 seconds), plug the orange wire into it's GROUND (capped off bullet connector).

Run the TILT up to the height you can safely raise the engine WITHOUT CONTACTING COWLING OR STEERING CYLINDER COMPONENTS.

Disconnect and cap off the orange wire.

Test trim to make sure the limit procedure worked properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you. I’m going to look for the trim limit kit this weekend.

8. Member
    I guess that did the trick. I had to do it twice, but it seems to be working properly now. Thank you!!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    Where is this orange wire located?
    Separate engines NEED to be in separate posts, please. Thanks!