2019 Z520C Livewells - Water Pumping In & Out Same Time

Water pumps in & out at the same time. Picture shows the two livewell toggle settings. Any suggestions for fixing the problem are appreciated.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m not sure I understand what you mean by pumping out. It pumps out of the stern pump out port at the same time that the livewell is filling?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    jc2bj, thanks for asking.

Yes, with the levers positioned in the picture, water pumps into the livewells but the livewells don't fill up because water is pumping out of the boat at the same time from the back port. The water coming out of the back port is maybe at 50% of the flow I get when I set the Livewell lever to Empty and the Flow Rite lever to Pump Out (like you want to do when you empty the livewells after a day of fishing).

Looking at some You Tube videos, I'm guessing that maybe the Flow Rite lever isn't getting the Actuator Value in the bilge area to close because of debris (sand, shell, whatever) clogging the Actuator Value? The Flow Rite lever is hard to move any farther toward the RECIRC position.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade

4. Member
    i had a small piece of fishing line in a valve one time and livewell would not fill up totally because some water was going out the pump out hole. took valve apart and found it then it all worked correctly going forward
    Last edited by mactlman; 11-06-2022 at 01:51 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Look in the starboard livewell at the top and see if your spigot is pulled out instead of pushed in. When pumps are operating,this is your recirc feature and why its pumping out at the back port.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    Look in the starboard livewell at the top and see if your spigot is pulled out instead of pushed in. When pumps are operating,this is your recirc feature and why its pumping out at the back port.
    This ^^. The red spigot can get accidentally pulled out, and if it’s even halfway out, water will bypass the fill and go out the back.

Don't think he'll have the red spigot, he has a "pumpout" valve, just like my 2019- no spigot.

Most likely the valve isn't 100% closing, adjustment, debris, something like that.
    2B576211

He has remote pump out so the pump out/recirc takes its place. Should be on recirc if that’s not working the valve is messed up
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post

Robby, I don't have the pull-out spigot in my 2019 Ranger Z520C livewell. I did have one in my 2011 Ranger Z519 livewell.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i had a small piece of fishing line in a valve one time and livewell would not fill up totally because some water was going out the pump out hole. took valve apart and found it then it all worked correctly going forward
    Mac like you and others are saying, there's probably some debris or fishing line in the valve. I'm old, stiff, and too fat to be able to hang over the edge of the rear storage compartment to take the valve apart. I'll probably bring it to a shop with someone a lot younger than me. However, I did reach down and moved the green lever arm on the side of the valve about 1/8" to 3/16". The actuator lever below the engine F-N-R control lever is now on RECIRC as you can see in the picture. So I think temporarily the livewell will fill correctly. I sprayed some lubricant on the green lever arm and cable and that might help a little temporarily.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    try flushing it out with a hose from where the water is coming out might have some stuff stuck in there preventing it from closing correctly
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    Those switches are reversed. Has it always been like that. The one position cable hooked up to auto actually runs to my pumpout. I think if you just switch the two leavers it will be correct

13. Member
    How do you remove this from the side of the boat? I unscrewed all screws and it seems to be caught.. I have to replace mine as the chord inside came loose...

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post
    How do you remove this from the side of the boat? I unscrewed all screws and it seems to be caught.. I have to replace mine as the chord inside came loose...
    What are you referring to above? More information needed. It’s also best, if you are introducing a question different from the original poster’s issue, to start your own thread.