Humminbird 12 vs 15 pixel count

I have to decide which one will be my next unit. It will be used as a console unit, not on the bow. My main concern is the picture definition with the pixel count being the same. Is it noticeable between the two machines? I’ve beat the internet to death but there’s just not much real world feedback on the 15. It will be used on a center console bay boat where I’ll drive from a standing position so seeing around or over the larger machine will not be a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with the two units that can offer a comparison between the picture qualities? I really want the larger screen and 6 presets. Ive run Helix 10’s for years so I’m well versed in their operation and capabilities.

Thanks for any help.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have both and I can't really tell the difference between the two except the 15 is much bigger than the 12. I'm sure someone with the eyesight of an eagle could tell the difference but that someone isn't me. However, with just having larger images on the 15, I've been able to determine that some things I thought were rockpiles on the 12 are actually huge stumps. So just having bigger pics with the same pixel count can make a difference. The 6 presets on the 15 is really nice.

If you want the best picture possible from an HB unit, then get an Apex.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 11-05-2022 at 08:47 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

What I see is the lower resolution of the 15 makes blurry images more so especially with MEGA 360 and MEGA LIVE.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    If it is a single unit at the console and you will be using it for multiple purposes at the same time (some combination of Mapping, 2D, DI, SI) I would definitely go with the 15. I had both Solix 15 and Solix 12 at the console and the pixel density really didn't seem to make that much difference to me. I much preferred the extra screen real estate to the additional sharpness the tighter pixel density on the 12 provided.

I now have an Apex 19 and Apex 13 at the console. It has higher resolution (full HD), so there is definitely an improvement with Apex. The Apex 19 appears better to me than my previous Solix 15. By the way, the Helix 15 and Helix 12 have the same pixel count as the Solix systems.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Joey, All the posts here are right on. Between the 12 and 15 the difference is the best viewing distance. Has to do with the pixel size. 12 and 15 have the same # of pixels but the 15’s have a bit longer best viewing distance.( around a foot or so longer than the 12). If you are at that little extra distance they will look the same as far as clarity. Like Steve says the 15 has a bit more area. I also agree on the Apex. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

125 ppi on the 12"
    98 ppi on the 15"

Apple says pixels can't be distinguished over 300ppi at 12". So with good vision up close enough you should see a difference. At what viewing distance the difference is indiscernible depends on the eyes and the distance.

7. Member
    Thanks Men.

The apex is a little more than I need to spend right now but it sounds like the Helix 15 is what I’ll be ordering.

8. Member
    We all need to pay the bills and it is getting harder all the time. Enjoy your Helix

9. Member
    I am in the same boat right now trying to decide what to go with at the console. I like the mega 360 comparison pics above but would really benefit from some full screen helix 15 side imaging pictures to see clarity.

I am deciding between one 12 or one 15. 2 units at the console is not an option for me.

10. Member
    Here is an SI shot from my Helix 15.
    Not sure if a screenshot saves at a different resolution as to what you see on your screen.
    I have both a 12 and a 15" Helix. Love my 15.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have two 12’s and a 15. I like one of the 12’s on the console. I find it easier to find those little grains of rice and their shadows on the 12 with my eyes close to the screen. If you don’t SI in deeper water a lot, the 15 will work just fine. I use my 15 for chart split with ML at the bow and the other 12 is used for m360.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

12. Member
    I have a solix 15 and wish I would have went with a 12, image looks blurry or stretched compared to my solix 10.

13. Member
    The 10 actually has even smaller pixels than the 12, Making resolution at close range even more clear. The drawback is a smaller size different people think it is clearer ,but not all have the vision to appreciate it. Bob