Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

999 setup & pics

evening everyone. I had to replace some units due to theft and was able to come across a set of 999's. at the console I was able to
    install and try out the SI. Here are a few pics. I think i got it setup good but need some other opinions on these pics to know if I need to
    make any adjustments. thanks for reading and any feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Looks pretty dang good to me. I especially like #6 with the bait ball & fish above and below.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    They look like textbook pics to me.
    Did you catch anything???

4. Member
    Didn’t bring any rods. Forced myself to learn how to use and read
    this darn thing.

5. Member
    Nothing wrong with that setup and good clear images. Spending time to learn the units is a big step in their affective use in finding the fish. Good luck
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Ok thank you. I know these are older units. Will it be a great difference on the mega units.
    I might get one if they run deals for Black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbutler909 View Post
    Ok thank you. I know these are older units. Will it be a great difference on the mega units.
    The Helix 10 replaced the 900 series units and the Helix 9 replaced the 800 series. You gain screen size no matter which you choose. The Helix displays are brighter.
    The units with MEGA Imaging have the extra frequency spectrum of 1000 kHz+ in addition to the two Imaging frequencies you have with the 900 series. The higher frequency produces a thinner Imaging pulse AND the MEGA SI+ transducers are a couple of inches longer than the HDSI so those longer Imaging piezos also thin the pulses with produce sharper images. You do lose depth and range with the higher frequency and gain sensitivity to particles in the water (algae/pollen/silt).
    Also your 999 does not have Down Imaging from a Down Imaging piezo, it has simulated DI views created by blending the two SI pulses. The Helix 8-15 MEGA SI units have true Down Imaging from a Down Imaging piezo in the transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Thanks for the insight.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm always amazed by how good the numbered units were. They were ahead of their time! As long as yours is still working and you don't want to add a device that isn't supported by it (Mega 360 or Mega live for example), there is nothing wrong with them.

Wayne is right on with his comments, as usual, but I would like to add that you will probably see the biggest difference in the DI capability of the Helix compared to the numbered units. That's because of the dedicated DI piezo which Wayne mentioned.

On SI, you will get some improvement but it isn't really a "night and day" type difference.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

10. Member
    thanks for the feed back SLYDoggie and Wayne ! I went out for a couple hours today to get some more seat time. Heres what I got. Let me know what you guys think. I was playing with settings,
    sharpness and contrast.

S00022.PNGS00023.PNGS00024.PNGS00026.PNGS00027.PNGS00028.PNGS00029.PNGS00030.PNG

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    thanks for the feed back SLYDoggie and Wayne ! I went out for a couple hours today to get some more seat time. Heres what I got. Let me know what you guys think. I was playing with settings,
    sharpness and contrast.

S00022.PNGS00023.PNGS00024.PNGS00026.PNGS00027.PNGS00028.PNGS00029.PNGS00030.PNG
    1 through 3 were a little hot for my liking but the rest look good. I don't really use the sharpness settings. I find that it just makes things too grainy for my liking.

The Sharpness setting is to add backlighting to the images so fish are highlighted. It does make the overall image grainy, but Imaging quality is not its function.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    So the sharpness is designed to make the fish “pop” ?
    not necessarily used to get a better picture on the screen.
    great info. Thanks

14. Member
    So the sharpness is designed to make the fish “pop” ?
    not necessarily used to get a better picture on the screen.
    great info. Thanks

15. Member
    Who needs mega imaging? Those pics look great!!

16. Member
    We all want the latest and the best but some of the older stuff works great if you know how to use it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    We all want the latest and the best but some of the older stuff works great if you know how to use it.
    Without a doubt. I'm still running a first generation helix 9 to side scan with & have never had a problem with it. Sometimes the pollen is suspended from the surface down to 15 feet or so & I may have to turn the sensitivity down some buy still get good images. I like mine.

18. Member
    A lot of guys have new units,not set up as well as yours. That will never get that dialed in.

sharpness and contrast.

What's the settings difference between 1,2,3 and 4.5? My unit has the 2 hard lines in the middle like 1,2,3 and I've been going nuts trying to get it to look like 4,5. Thanks

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    What's the settings difference between 1,2,3 and 4.5? My unit has the 2 hard lines in the middle like 1,2,3 and I've been going nuts trying to get it to look like 4,5. Thanks
    It depends on what is making the line on the right & left of the centerlineon SI returns. If it is turbulence lines, then raising the Contrast might reduce them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast