FYI: VORTEX HUB CAPS

After blowing bearings out of a hub last weekend, I replaced one entire hub assembly and installed new bearings and brake pads on all the other hubs on my tandem trailer. I know many have had the frustration of the plastic Vortex hub / grease caps cracking. You can get the plastic replacement caps that have supposedly been upgraded or, as in my case, I called my local Bass Pro Shops (Concord, NC) and asked if they had the aluminum replacement caps. They had just gotten a batch of them in stock and I went by there this morning and picked up four of them. At only $7 each (cheaper than the plastic ones) they’re a great replacement / upgrade. Just wanted to pass this on to those interested.
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

Would you please post the manufacturer and part number of the aluminum replacement caps?
    The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training -- sacrifice. - GEN Douglas MacArthur, Thayer Award Address delivered 12 May 1962, West Point, NY

3. Member
    My '21 came off the truck with 2 cracked plastic caps. Dealer/Nitro replaced all caps with the new aluminum caps. no charge.
    Last edited by Jboutfishn; 11-06-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

4. Member
    My receipt has Cap, End Unit 1750, $7.28 each written on it. The actual cap has no markings on it at all. Wish I could tell you more. They’re aluminum, black powder coated and seem very well made. Mine installed with no issues and the threads matched the hub threads.
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboutfishn View Post
    My '21 came off the truck with 2 cracked plastic caps. Deler/Nitro replaced all caps with the new aluminum caps. no charge.
    While I was in Bass Pro I checked out two new Nitros and trailers. One trailer had the Dexter plastic caps on it and one trailer had the aluminum caps on it. Hard to believe they’re still using the plastic ones.

6. Member
    When I had my axel repaired on my z21 due to the hub recall, my dealer replaced on mine with aluminum caps. The plastic ones are garbage.

7. Member
    Contact your local Bass Pro or Cabela’s and they can provide you the PN.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
    Would you please post the manufacturer and part number of the aluminum replacement caps?

This is how they came from Cabela’s.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Rob V View Post

This is how they came from Cabela’s.
    Thank you, Sir.
    The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training -- sacrifice. - GEN Douglas MacArthur, Thayer Award Address delivered 12 May 1962, West Point, NY

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
    Thank you, Sir.
    No problem. Hopefully the BPS or Cabela’s nearest you will have them in stock.
    2019 Nitro Z20
    250 ProXS

11. Member
    Thanks for this info!
    2020 Z19 Pro
    200hp Pro XS

12. Member
    I did the recall in Nov 2022. Just blew out two bearings on one trip. Not sure the odds of that, but they were within 150 miles of each other.
    2022 Z20 DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Garmin 126sv, 126sv, 126sv, 106sv
    Garmin Force tm
    8' Power Pole Blades

13. Member
    Had my 300hr service done at Cabela's yesterday on my 2019 Merc 175 ProXS. They had no idea what the aluminum caps were, but once I showed them the pic from this page, "Oh yeah, we got those" $7.28 each. That is really good since I paid over $25 for 2 plastic ones.

Cabela's is high on their service, but I have to say they took good care of me. Tech load tested the Interstate AGM cranking battery and it showed bad. I told him I just bought a new one last February from them when I came in for service. They gave me a brand new one and installed it. Nice. Said hey if you bring it in next year and it shows bad, we will give you another new one. Not sure what is going on with the Interstate AGM battery, I have the NOCO smart charger set to AGM. Motor always started fine, never seemed to have a power issue.

I know others have had issue with Interstate both AGM and regular wet cell. The Cabela's tech told me to stay away from lithium for cranking battery even though Mercury has said its ok.

They have seen some motors come in with weird alarm codes and it was from lithium battery.