Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Originally Posted by billnorman1
    Some Lithiums are not recommended for trolling motors, they cannot deliver high current for a sustained period of time, not designed for it. Some may not even have a B M S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Are you just making this up?
    Yes, you caught me. Every Lithium battery sold is O.K. to use for a trolling motor. Just buy the cheapest you can find it will deliver 50+ amps continuously.

2. Member
    No, he isn't. Some will flat out say not recommended for trolling motors.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    First, I am a DIY guy and started out with the intent of building my own, partially because of budget constraints but also because I like to build things. I did a lot of research and identified which features I felt were significant and selected components. However, I discovered that I could buy the completed ReDoDo for about the same price as the components.

I have only had the batteries a few months but so far it has been a positive experience. Delivery was free and 3 days, documentation is excellent and customer service contact has been good. I have communicated several times by email, mostly because they were concerned about me using 50 AH instead of 100 AH. I explained that I understood the compromises and felt that it would work for my situation.
    Only time will tell but so far I’m ok with the process.
    I was thinking about putting in a 100ah Redodo strictly to run my electronics. So far I've hear nothing but positive about them (except for no low temp protection)

Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    I was thinking about putting in a 100ah Redodo strictly to run my electronics. So far I've hear nothing but positive about them (except for no low temp protection)
    I too was concerned about them not having a low temp protection but my NOCO charger has low temp cutoff. It will not charge if the temp drops to 32 degrees and it will resume when it warms up. That combined with the fact that I live in a relatively mild climate (Hot Springs AR) makes for a reasonable compromise.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I see some of the Lithium batteries that are not recommended for trolling motor use. They seem to be intended for solar panel storage and probably have a BMS specific to those parameters. I do notice their BMS allows for more parallel connections than most trolling motor batteries.

6. Member
    Ok, I’m gonna hi-jack my own thread (I can do this since I’m the OP), but I’d like to add a fourth lithium for my cranking battery.
    I’ve got a 250 SHO, is this even possible?

7. Member
    We’ll….should have done a little more research before I posted. Looks like Impulse already offers a lithium battery compatible with the SHO.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler95 View Post
    We’ll….should have done a little more research before I posted. Looks like Impulse already offers a lithium battery compatible with the SHO.
    I would caution a lithium on a SHO if still under warranty. Yamaha states no lithium batteries. I don’t understand the issues of why other than it will void any warranty if failure can be related to being hooked up to a lithium battery.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I too was concerned about them not having a low temp protection but my NOCO charger has low temp cutoff. It will not charge if the temp drops to 32 degrees and it will resume when it warms up. That combined with the fact that I live in a relatively mild climate (Hot Springs AR) makes for a reasonable compromise.
    I would URGE anyone reading that statement to go to NOCO’s site and read about the “low temp cutoff” Bill mentioned. The operating temperature on their charger is -4 f to 104 f (Genius Pro can charge up to 120 degrees but it’s not marine rated). Charging below 32 degrees Fahrenheit for even a minute will destroy a lithium battery. There is no mention of a low temp cutoff for lithiums and NOCO would be damned proud and boasting about it iif it did. Not trying to stir it up here, trying to save some peoples pricey batteries.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    I would URGE anyone reading that statement to go to NOCO’s site and read about the “low temp cutoff” Bill mentioned. The operating temperature on their charger is -4 f to 104 f (Genius Pro can charge up to 120 degrees but it’s not marine rated). Charging below 32 degrees Fahrenheit for even a minute will destroy a lithium battery. There is no mention of a low temp cutoff for lithiums and NOCO would be damned proud and boasting about it iif it did. Not trying to stir it up here, trying to save some peoples pricey batteries.
    You're statement about 32 is incorrect. Ya might wanna check Battle Born and Ionics specs. Might not be the best but under reduced amps a lithium can be charged to a certain "degree"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I would caution a lithium on a SHO if still under warranty. Yamaha states no lithium batteries. I don’t understand the issues of why other than it will void any warranty if failure can be related to being hooked up to a lithium battery.
    I’ve been running an Ionic 125a for over a year on my SHO without issue. And yes, it’s still under warranty.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    I’ve been running an Ionic 125a for over a year on my SHO without issue. And yes, it’s still under warranty.
    Im not saying I agree with it or that they don’t work. I would run one myself but direct from a Yamaha rep and my dealer if you have a failure that can be linked to the battery it will void the warranty.

13. Member
    It will not void the warranty. Yamaha does not say that. They may refuse to cover under warranty any problems they attribute to the use of a lithium battery. Read what they put out in writing. But you warranty will be be cancelled or voided.

14. Member
    Using the 50Ah, what thrust does your trolling motor have and the brand? What brand and cost of the batteries? Thanks for any help

15. Member
    I have MinnKota 80 thrust as well. What brand 50 AH did you buy. I do not have electric where I will store my boat after using, thinking after using 2 ro 3 times will take out of boat and charge both at home.

16. Member
    Dude in above posts broke a chins down, he was surprised how good it was
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Dude in above posts broke a chins down, he was surprised how good it was
    If you talking about my post, not sure I get your meaning.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach762020 View Post
    Using the 50Ah, what thrust does your trolling motor have and the brand? What brand and cost of the batteries? Thanks for any help
    112 minn kota 50ah ionics. you'll have to bing ionic lithium prices change. i've had mine since 2019
    Wes

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler95 View Post
    Can these batteries be connected in series? I’ve read several different articles that say you should not connect more than two in series because of the BMS system? I’m needing a 36v system.
    Ionics can/mine are. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    I would URGE anyone reading that statement to go to NOCO’s site and read about the “low temp cutoff” Bill mentioned. The operating temperature on their charger is -4 f to 104 f (Genius Pro can charge up to 120 degrees but it’s not marine rated).
    Thanks, I did not read this carefully enough. My Bad.
    I live in a moderate climate so I can choose when I charge my batteries but this brought to mind another question. I know the outside temp, but what is the temp inside the bilge? I placed a little GoVee WIFI sensor between the batteries so I could easily monitor it.
    This is January and it pretty much tracked with the outside temp but I am even more interested to see the temp in July and August.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234