Thread: Ferrite rings

Ferrite rings

On which cable are these rings supposed to be put on? Power or transducer? Or both?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    The ferrite rings are usually on the transducer cables. There is a Choke that can be used in the battery charger circuit to reduce noise on the power side.

Charger Choke for Interference | Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    The ferrite rings are usually on the transducer cables. There is a Choke that can be used in the battery charger circuit to reduce noise on the power side.

Charger Choke for Interference | Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    I am aware of the fact that the choke came with Mega Live. I don't have Mega Live. So could this choke still be the answer?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    The choke is only designed for one thing... Stopping trolling motor interference from feeding back through an onboard charger. If you don't have an onboard charger or aren't getting trolling motor interference, then there is no need for the Choke.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I am aware of the fact that the choke came with Mega Live. I don't have Mega Live. So could this choke still be the answer?
    An answer to what? Everyone is assuming it is RFI, but on what and when does it happen?(turning on the trolling motor, the big engine or another situation?) A choke “chokes off the size of a signal”. You have to figure out what is the source of the electrical/magnetic noise and what is being effected by it. Then put the choke where it needs to be. Give more info about your situation. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    An answer to what? Everyone is assuming it is RFI, but on what and when does it happen?(turning on the trolling motor, the big engine or another situation?) A choke “chokes off the size of a signal”. You have to figure out what is the source of the electrical/magnetic noise and what is being effected by it. Then put the choke where it needs to be. Give more info about your situation. Bob
    My system consists of a Solix 12 and an Apex 13, along with a Mega 360. All are powered by a 16v 100Ah Powerhouse lithium delivered via Sea Clear harness. The noise comes and goes when stepping on the trolling motor on the Mega 360 page. And I do see a tiny amount of interference on the Mega 360 occasionally when there is no input from the t-motor. How do I go about tracking down whether it's electrical or magnetic in nature?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    The choke is only designed for one thing... Stopping trolling motor interference from feeding back through an onboard charger. If you don't have an onboard charger or aren't getting trolling motor interference, then there is no need for the Choke.
    Do you think it's needed if my Birds completely bypass my cranking battery?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Electrical could be wires transmitting the noise from the TM power wires. Magnetic could be a speaker magnet or even just an iron/steele item close to things. Sounds like your TM power wires are too close to your transducer cable( cable ties or something else holding them close together ) The 360 with no TM activity sounds a bit like crosstalk with another transducer. Maybe 2D sonar source? You have to keep at it, separate the cables a foot or even less than that. I have removed cable ties and got rid of interference. Neat sometimes causes issues.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Do you think it's needed if my Birds completely bypass my cranking battery?
    It has nothing to do with the cranking battery. It has to do with how your onboard charger is set up. If you have your charger connected to your trolling motor batteries as well as the battery (or batteries) you use for your fishing electronics, the interference can feed back through the charger from the trolling motor and out to the electronics battery... Even though the charger is off.

You can test this by disconnecting the charger from the fishing electronics battery or trolling motor batteries. If the interference stops, then you need to connect the choke between the charger and your fishing electronics battery. If the interference is still happening, then you have another issue. One common cause of trolling motor interference is a defective fuse in the head of the trolling motor.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

My system consists of a Solix 12 and an Apex 13, along with a Mega 360. All are powered by a 16v 100Ah Powerhouse lithium delivered via Sea Clear harness. The noise comes and goes when stepping on the trolling motor on the Mega 360 page. And I do see a tiny amount of interference on the Mega 360 occasionally when there is no input from the t-motor. How do I go about tracking down whether it's electrical or magnetic in nature?
    A buddy had issues with his Sea Clear harness with weak/poor connections causing interference. He ended up taking it to Hennessey Outdoors (near Knoxville) and they put in a new harness. ZERO interference now. It was an amazing transformation.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    You didn't say which trolling motor, lowrance?
    Or maybe a ultrex or is it a Garmin or motorguide....
    And I thought you gave up on humminbird...?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    You didn't say which trolling motor, lowrance?
    Or maybe a ultrex or is it a Garmin or motorguide....
    And I thought you gave up on humminbird...?
    It's an Ultrex. I only gave up on Mega Live.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Good luck using the ferrite rings. I tried putting them on every cable known to man in my setup to get rid of or reduce RFI. Those things did not help my RFI issue at all nor could I tell that they had any effect whatsoever.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Good luck using the ferrite rings. I tried putting them on every cable known to man in my setup to get rid of or reduce RFI. Those things did not help my RFI issue at all nor could I tell that they had any effect whatsoever.
    No one is assuming they are the end-all-be all. They are but one avenue of investigation to remedy the issue.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I tried lots of things - literally over a dozen - to solve my ultrex interference. In the end, new brushes in the 2 year old motor solved the majority of the problem.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

No one is assuming they are the end-all-be all. They are but one avenue of investigation to remedy the issue.
    I understand, but for me those things made absolutely no difference whatsoever and seemed like a joke.

17. Member
    Ferrite rings are a joke along with all other of hummingbirds rfi issues
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Ferrite rings are a joke along with all other of hummingbirds rfi issues
    Is this a joke????

ECHOMAP Ultra Installation Instructions - Installing the Ferrite Beads on the Cables (garmin.com)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL