What JDM rods have you all used.

I have been on a bit of a JDM kick here lately and have been wanting to go a different route with my rods.
    Been looking around a bit at some of the JDM stuff but there are so many different brands on the JDM side that I dont know which brands have rods.
    Was hoping some of you have used some of them and could give some opinions.

2. Member
    That's a 100 gallon barrel of nightcrawlers there, for many reasons.

Better question would be what are you looking/searching for? Length, powers, tapers, 1 or 2 or multi-piece, price bracket, tech, etc.

Also of note, many JDM brands that were popular and exceptional are no longer...otherwise they are now defunct, such as Daiko and Evola.

3. Member
    Head on over to TT and check out the JDM Enthusiast forum. You will discover some pretty amazing stuff.

Megabass is a decent place to start...but it can become an endless rabbit hole. I haven't been into it as much as I used to but there are shops out there that literally hand make most if not all of their components and build limited runs of rods.

Here's a good website to look through that's ran by one of the best JDM tackle aficionados that I know

https://jdmfishing.com/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Megabass is a decent place to start...but it can become an endless rabbit hole. I haven't been into it as much as I used to but there are shops out there that literally hand make most if not all of their components and build limited runs of rods.

Here's a good website to look through that's ran by one of the best JDM tackle aficionados that I know

https://jdmfishing.com/
    100% Agree

6. Member
    I treated myself to a Poison Adrena. Certainly a nice rod but not what I was expecting.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    I treated myself to a Poison Adrena. Certainly a nice rod but not what I was expecting.
    That's a nice Shimano for sure...what shortcomings per your expectations do you have with this rod?

8. Member
    If you are comfortable making an order from Japan I highly suggest the Luxxe Efreet rods by Gamakatsu. A member from BBC helped me initially navigate the process of ordering from Japan and have since ordered more rods and two reels.

With the Luxxe Efreet series you are getting a rod made in Japan with super high quality components. Feel free to message me for more information... I also suspect the member with years of JDM knowledge to chime in here if he seems this message, his knowledge is far beyond mine.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    That's a nice Shimano for sure...what shortcomings per your expectations do you have with this rod?
    No short comings per se. I just did not experience the difference with my St Croix rods that I thought I would based on comments and reviews I read. I don’t regret buying the rod but I don’t think I would buy another.

No short comings per se. I just did not experience the difference with my St Croix rods that I thought I would based on comments and reviews I read. I don’t regret buying the rod but I don’t think I would buy another.
    That's the pitfall that the hype and price don't always fall in line with performance. Don't say that openly though or the JDM die hards will flog you...lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    That's the pitfall that the hype and price don't always fall in line with performance. Don't say that openly though or the JDM die hards will flog you...lol
    IMO, a minimalist professional custom build with high level components and blank, would be the best option for performance. And still come in less than most high end JDM or USDM. The only issue here is warranty coverage and resale will likely be less than desirable and well known factory high end offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    IMO, a minimalist professional custom build with high level components and blank, would be the best option for performance. And still come in less than most high end JDM or USDM. The only issue here is warranty coverage and resale will likely be less than desirable and well known factory high end offerings.
    100% agree...you can build some pretty dang nice rods going the custom route. Lots of trial and error, but it can be worth it.

13. Member
    I have 4 Megabass Destroyer P5 JDM. I went trough local dealers after I got my first one from Japan. The inexperience from ordering from Japan ended up costing me with customs, extra shipping charges and sales tax.

I have: Madbull, Killercode, Super Destroyer, and a crank rod that I don't remember the name. I like them a lot!

I let a friend who is a BIG G.Loomis fan try my Super Destroyer... He said nice! But like many who are brand loyal, they will stick with what they know. The same thing with a friend who is a St-Croix person. He said he would go with a Megabass before a G.Loomis. But, will stick to St-Croix.

If you know someone with some JDM rods, ask to try one... (if they will let you!!!) That way you can have a feel of it and see if it is right for you.

14. Member
    I’ve found the biggest problems with high end rods is I have to buy them blind & hope they are as good as hyped. I now have nrx’s, glx’s, Megabass Destroyers, Dobyns, & others. I like most all of them and usually let the baits tell me which rod to use. That being said I really like fishing with BFS type gear…just more fun. My favorite rods are the Loomis GLX CBRs in one power. So much fun. The Destroyers are super light in weight, which I consider a premium. I sure would like to try other JDMs…. I buy used quite a bit cause makes sense. Ps I buy from Japan & can get delivered faster than BPS can from Missouri to Oklahoma…go figure! My .015 cents worth.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    I’ve found the biggest problems with high end rods is I have to buy them blind & hope they are as good as hyped. I now have nrx’s, glx’s, Megabass Destroyers, Dobyns, & others. I like most all of them and usually let the baits tell me which rod to use. That being said I really like fishing with BFS type gear…just more fun. My favorite rods are the Loomis GLX CBRs in one power. So much fun. The Destroyers are super light in weight, which I consider a premium. I sure would like to try other JDMs…. I buy used quite a bit cause makes sense. Ps I buy from Japan & can get delivered faster than BPS can from Missouri to Oklahoma…go figure! My .015 cents worth.
    Just added another Megabass Destroyer... Tachyon Shaft. Since my boat is in the shop since July 16, I saved on gas... Spent it on new rod and tackel. Hope to go out in spring 2023...

16. Member
    I think it's kind of unfair to put a Poison Adrena up against other JDM high-end rods because it's not really a JDM high-end rod: Shimano has two model lines that are higher-end (but only avialable as JDM, while the PA is sold in America). I'd consider the Poison Glorious and Poison Ultimas of this world to be good expectation setters, and compare everything to those. (I have an Ultima and Glorious and really like them FWIW, the Ultima is as sensitive as any NRX, Steez, K2 or P5 that I own, and it's definitely better than a Poison Adrena).

The P5 Destroyer is a bit of a special case, as well; it's officially available in America, but the initial batch was actual JDM models that they simply brought over. Those rods are Megabass' most high-end offering, though, and compare well with other halo rods IMO.

If you want proper JDM rods, I'd consider Evergreen Kaleido, Poison Glorious/Ultima, Gamakatsu (they sell rods in Japan), Steez Racing Design etc.

The only true JDM rod I own is a Major Craft Volkey Big Lake Custom I bought blindly years ago that never really fit the slot I had imagined for it. It hung around in limbo unused until one day I tied a squarebill onto it and BAM, it’s been my shallow squarebill rod ever since. It’s (on paper) entirely the wrong everything for that application but it does everything right if you can wrap your head around that.
    Ranting incoherently

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    The only true JDM rod I own is a Major Craft Volkey Big Lake Custom I bought blindly years ago that never really fit the slot I had imagined for it. It hung around in limbo unused until one day I tied a squarebill onto it and BAM, it’s been my shallow squarebill rod ever since. It’s (on paper) entirely the wrong everything for that application but it does everything right if you can wrap your head around that.
    I can absolutely see that...I have owned several Major Craft rods and their tapers have always been quite different from most US market tapers, and same can be said of MC power ratings, it's usually on the lighter side vs USDM.