Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Thinking of a Nitro? Just say 'NO'.

An NDA prevents me from telling you the entire (initial) two-year saga - but no restrictions on the latest (of many) quality issues with my 2017 Z21 Pro.

Was at the lake last Wednesday (26 October) and noticed the port side storage drawer wasn't flush with the face/cabinet (see photos). Thought maybe it had come of the 'tracks'. Removed the drawer and found this:

Drawer front.jpgDrawer side.jpgDrawer cabinet left.jpgDrawer cabinet right.jpgDrawer top.jpg

Contacted Nitro - they referred me to 'any authorized dealer'.

Contacted (via email) DEALER No. 2 and explained the situation. They emailed me: "I have reached out to Nitro on your behalf and explained the situation. I have been informed that you are well outside your warranty coverage period and a replacement for the door will not be covered under warranty. If you would like, I can reach out to their parts department and get your pricing and availability on the replacement parts needed."

I had met the regional sales manager when I nearing the end of my initial two-year Nitro saga. Figuring it wouldn't hurt to try, I also contacted him (at the same time I was emailing with DEALER No. 2). He was on vacation but told me he'd get back to me. While waiting for him to respond I received DEALER No. 2/Nitro's response (above). I forwarded DEALER No. 2's email (above) to the sales manager and added:

"My thoughts on Nitro's position.

1. The drawer isn't a moving or wear part. The only way it could have failed is defective manufacturing/assembly.

2. I went through almost 2 years of frustration to get this boat even close to an acceptable level of quality. If you go back through the records you'll see even the replacement boat had A LOT of manufacturing issues that DEALER No. 1 and I had to deal with."

His response: "Reached out to our warranty department manager and asked for an exception for you, but sorry to say it was turned down due to the time frame. It has been over 5 years and these parts are warranted for one year only. DEALER No. 2 can order the drawer frame and replace it for you, but it won’t be covered by warranty."

I then received the price (from the DEALER No. 2) for the new storage drawer. Note that the $709.01 DOES NOT INCLUDE 1. The 16 screws - those are $.22 each (LMFAO) or shipping (or taxes).

Part number 181952 No. 1.jpgPart number 181952 No. 2.jpg

Luckily I did find another source for the cabinet/drawer: https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ni...-2015-z21-port Total price with shipping: $425.66. And to be fair with Nitro, it doesn't come with the screws either...

So...if you're thinking of buying a Nitro, think very carefully.
    The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training -- sacrifice. - GEN Douglas MacArthur, Thayer Award Address delivered 12 May 1962, West Point, NY

2. Member
    That didn't break like that all on its own. Someone stepped on it or tripped over it when it was open.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    That didn't break like that all on its own. Someone stepped on it or tripped over it when it was open.
    Nope. Hardly ever use the drawer - it's not watertight.
    The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training -- sacrifice. - GEN Douglas MacArthur, Thayer Award Address delivered 12 May 1962, West Point, NY

So your trying to get get warranty on a 6-7 year old boat. Maybe they replaced your boat earlier, I don't know. Maybe the lesson here is check things before u leave the dealer.

Mine is getting rigged now. I'm ready.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I am sorry you are having issues with your boat. I am 100% a Nitro fan but issues can be very frustrating.
    Not knowing your 2 year previous saga, it's hard to comment on the things you are seeing now. That drawer is obviously not meant to be water tight and I am curious how long it had been like that before you noticed it.

6. Member
    Not certain what all took place during your "initial saga", but sounds awful and for sure not a good experience for you. Nitro is not the top brand from a quality perspective however, IMHO it is the top brand from an overall value perspective. I took delivery of my 2022 Z21xl a little over a year ago and I couldn't be more pleased with my boat or the support I have received from my local BPS service team. I have had a number of what I consider minor issues both on initial delivery as well as over the past year. Nitro has covered all warranty issues with no issue - I covered the rest. Normal boat ownership - there is always something to care for and maintain. On delivery I fully inspected the boat but, I did miss few things - Nitro took care of all of it no questions no issues. I never use that drawer in front of the passenger seat and aside from the cost being outrageous I would just take it out clean it up, drill new holes and carefully snug it down without pinching the crap out of the plastic causing it to break again. Easy no-cost fix - except maybe some screws.
    ~ Dave
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS
    HDS Live 12 B&C/Ghost/AT

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    So your trying to get get warranty on a 6-7 year old boat. Maybe they replaced your boat earlier, I don't know. Maybe the lesson here is check things before u leave the dealer.

Mine is getting rigged now. I'm ready.
    I have no idea what commercial arrangement you have with Nitro, but based on your signature I seriously doubt your opinions are unbiased.

I do know that there's no way the drawer/cabinet should have failed under normal use. It was either a defective part, improperly installed, or a combination. I'm actually afraid of what I'm going to find (behind and under the deck) when I replace it.

Check things before I leave the dealer? I have 77 pages of documentation of 'my checks before I left the dealer'. Not being thorough isn't the problem. The problem is unless I removed the cabinet (from the hull) there's no way I could have known there was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DavL View Post
    I never use that drawer in front of the passenger seat and aside from the cost being outrageous I would just take it out clean it up, drill new holes and carefully snug it down without pinching the crap out of the plastic causing it to break again. Easy no-cost fix - except maybe some screws.
    I think if you look carefully at yours and compare it to the pictures you'll see there is no way mine can be re-used/salvaged. There is simply too little of the face flange left.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    I am sorry you are having issues with your boat. I am 100% a Nitro fan but issues can be very frustrating.
    Not knowing your 2 year previous saga, it's hard to comment on the things you are seeing now. That drawer is obviously not meant to be water tight and I am curious how long it had been like that before you noticed it.
    I washed the entire boat the week before so if I had to guess - no more than a week; could have been less.

10. Banned
    I do understand your frustration but if you dont use the box I would just bolt the cover or try to plate it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
    I washed the entire boat the week before so if I had to guess - no more than a week; could have been less.
    Hmmm, it's still odd to me that this "just" happened? Seems like if it was a defect from the factory that it would have happened sometime ago?
    Either way, I'm still sorry that you are having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    Hmmm, it's still odd to me that this "just" happened? Seems like if it was a defect from the factory that it would have happened sometime ago?
    Either way, I'm still sorry that you are having issues.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

The 'just happened aspect' is why I'm worried about what I will find when I go to replace it. What's happened to the supporting structure? Something's changed...

Appears your unable to be unbiased. understand your upset with whatever happened in the past. It Does not matter what my affiliation is, your missing the point, try taking your 6 year old Ford, Chevy, Nissan.. whatever it is on and ask them to warranty a problem that existed when u took delivery, but did not notice it till 6 years later. Its not gonna happen.

wow 77 pages.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Appears your unable to be unbiased. understand your upset with whatever happened in the past. It Does not matter what my affiliation is, your missing the point, try taking your 6 year old Ford, Chevy, Nissan.. whatever it is on and ask them to warranty a problem that existed when u took delivery, but did not notice it till 6 years later. Its not gonna happen.

wow 77 pages.
    Using your analogy - I'm supposed to pay $709 (+) to replace the interior of a glove compartment (that has been used maybe 15 times) on my 5-year old Ford?

77 pages is correct (I double-checked the final PDF this morning).

I'm not the only one; internet is full of Nitro owners complaining about quality (along with customer service).

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
    Using your analogy - I'm supposed to pay $709 (+) to replace the interior of a glove compartment (that has been used maybe 15 times) on my 5-year old Ford?

77 pages is correct (I double-checked the final PDF this morning).

I'm not the only one; internet is full of Nitro owners complaining about quality (along with customer service).
    If you have an issue with the hull or boat structure itself coming apart and causing secondary damage you maybe have a complaint, beyond that is why you are getting reasonably unbiased opinions saying it’s a little bit late now to be claiming warranty for the lid and it isn’t going to sit well with most looking at it from the outside when you come on a public forum to trash any brand/company. Like others have said, we don’t know what you went through the last couple years with this boat but I can’t understand how there’s an NDA…
    I would recommend you sell the boat and find something else that makes you happy, life is too short.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    ... when you come on a public forum to trash any brand/company. Like others have said, we don’t know what you went through the last couple years with this boat but I can’t understand how there’s an NDA…
    I would recommend you sell the boat and find something else that makes you happy, life is too short.
    Where did I 'trash' Nitro? I have presented (only) the facts. I did so hoping that other potential Nitro owners know the risks and might consider buying a better quality product (Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, BassCat, Stratos, etc.).

Interesting that are no comments on the at least $283.35 ($709.01 - $425.66) price difference between Nitro and Great Lakes Skipper for the exact same part. You know GLS isn't loosing money on the sale. So why is Nitro almost 50% higher?

Sell the boat? I absolutely suck at fishing, but I love to do it. Have you seen the prices for new boats (2023 Z21 XL Pro starts at $72,995) ? Hell, have you seen prices for used boats? According to my tax assessor, my 2017 Nitro is worth $51k ($5k more than I paid for it, excluding sale tax).

I am not a big fan of Nitro BUT, I am on their side. If the cap separated or other structural issue than you are right. It appears from the pictures someone or something crushed it. While not normal wear and tear, it not a warranty issue as I see it.

Great Lakes Skipper is a reseller of NOS items from various wholesales or manufacturers. WRMG is a big supplier of theirs. They probably picked the stuff up for pennies on the dollar and charge 2/3 or less of the original price. Feel lucky that you found a cheaper part. Heck, I’d buy two.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    I do warranty work for all brands in the Memphis area. Although Nitro outsells most others by at least 4-1, I don't do any more work on them than the other brands. They all have issues and many are on parts that are out-sourced, like your storage compartment.

19. Member
    I do think that the QC and customer service at Nitro isn't great, it's pretty well established at this point. Unless you have the rare great Nitro dealer, it can be very tough addressing issues with the boat. That said, they did take care of a new ECM and touchpad for me for free while the boat was out of warranty, so I can't bash them too bad.

That said, Nitro is far from the only boat brand that has these kind of issues. I doubt you could find any boat dealer willing to warranty a 6 year old boat, with the exception of maybe Basscat. You have to understand at the end of the day, a guy down in Arkansas who is likely not getting paid much is slapping these bass boats together, and they will cut corners and make mistakes.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

As someone in the Rv industry for over 30 years I can tell you all kinds of stories like yours and they all end the same some people pick them apart and expect way to much and other people buy then use then and don't sweat the little stuff They all use the same basic stuff from the same suppliers. If you think boats of any brand are perfect or that bad you are unrealistic. Suggest you never by a RV you aint seen anything yet...LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast