Alarm Sounds every two minutes

I have a 2010 175 hp Mercury Optimax 1B789623. It started alarming by beaping 4 times, which I'm led to believe is an oil warning issue. This alarm repeated every two minutes and was consistent while returning from fishing. The small on-board oil tank is full and the tank in the boat is 3/4 full. I loosened the small tank's screw cap and oil flowed out while the motor was running. Would this be an issue with the float in the little tank or something else?

2. Member
    best test is to unplug the wires to the tank and jump across them .. if the alarm stops you have a bad float.

Edit to say this is not really the best test .. its a test , I agree with European .
    Last edited by styler; 11-03-2022 at 04:56 AM.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a NON-CRITICAL fault, which means: "Proceed safely back to port and get engine in to dealer for service".

It is not recommended to continue running the engine outside of the above.

Oil Level is one of DOZENS of potential faults that can cause what you experienced. Best method of accurately diagnosing the problem is described in the FAQ Section here:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I jumpered the two connections coming from the PCM to the oil tank and the alarm quits sounding. I see on the tank, that there is a switch you can purchase, or the reservoir itself. My question is, is the switch a possible problem or do you assume the float is bad and replace the entire reservoir. I did check resistance on the tank side connectors and had an open circuit.

5. Member
    I had the same issue this summer with my 150 Opti, testing confirmed float in tank is no good so I had to order a new tank. Good luck finding one they seem to be back ordered everywhere, I ordered mine in June and have still not received it.

6. Member
    Failed float assy only viable solution is to replace the reserve tank.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    This really sux. im in the same boat lol. Tank is gonna be $250+ and finding one is another issue. For now I'm going to keep running mine jumped but it makes me a little nervous.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    This really sux. im in the same boat lol. Tank is gonna be $250+ and finding one is another issue. For now I'm going to keep running mine jumped but it makes me a little nervous.
    Check with Rhonda by email next week. She did have a number come in and may very well have it in stock.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor