Would you pause if it had an Etec

Seriously looking at a 2019 520L but the only thing that is causing pause is that it has a G3 250 Etec. The boat is pristine, the deal is good and the motor only has 52 hrs. Unlike the BBC elite, I will be financing this. My question is, would having an Etec on it cause you pause to pull the trigger and should future service needs arise will service and parts be a concern. I have run a 150 HO Etec for the last 10 yrs and I have had no real issues. Also, posted this in the Ranger forum. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    5 Short of a limit

2. Member
    If you like it buy it there will be parts for years if needed
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

3. Member
    Did they make a G3?

I have a 2016 200 G2 on my lund, and recently sold our 2014 tritoon with a 250 HO G1. Not a lick of problems with either one. I will admit that I have to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get to a certified Evinrude shop.

I've just always had good luck with Evinrudes...which is a damn shame.

4. Member
    It’s a G2, there never was a G3 other than the tin boat brand. As far the boat goes, you have to feel good about it and know there’s no longer Evinrude but there is still a BRP and they cross designed a lot of components in their other Powersports divisions. I hate what BRP did to the brand but I still love my motor and the people that I know running them have been happy. My Dad just had his in for scheduled maintenance and our dealer told him that they’re seeing parts at about the same pace as anyone else (they sell Mercury and service Yamaha).
    The G2’s did have a few more quarks than the G1 but if the price is fair and the boat is right for you go for it.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    I would not hesitate to buy another boat with an Evinrude on it, but that is because there is a shop five minutes from my house that is not going to stop servicing them. If you can find a shop within a reasonable distance (your opinion) that is committed to continuing service, then I would try and get a discount because it is an Evinrude, but I would feel comfortable doing it.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I would not hesitate to buy another boat with an Evinrude on it, but that is because there is a shop five minutes from my house that is not going to stop servicing them. If you can find a shop within a reasonable distance (your opinion) that is committed to continuing service, then I would try and get a discount because it is an Evinrude, but I would feel comfortable doing it.
    This^^^^..... Still running my 03 250 DFI and running strong. The ETEC has an upgraded injector compared to the DFI.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input guys....yeah I fat fingered the keyboard as it is a G2. Kind of hard to hammer on the boat having an E-tec because I am trading in a boat w/ an E-tec.
    5 Short of a limit

I wouldn't do it again. Don't get me wrong, I love the engine; for the most part, it has been problem-free. But I would need not just one but several local dealers with qualified G2 techs so that I could feel comfortable that I would be able to get it serviced for the foreseeable future.

As it is, I have none. So, I taught myself to do routine maintenance. Nevertheless, recently I had quite the adventure to replace my midsection - a common problem, BTW. 3 months later after 4 trips to Nevada putting 2600 miles on my truck, 1300 miles on my trailer, 175 gals of diesel, and 3 nights in a hotel, the job is finally done.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

9. Member
    Wouldn't give me any pause at all.
    Actually that's what I would be looking for.

Just tore off a merc and hunted down an etec for my Tracker.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I would steer clear as well...

The Evinrude mess is one reason why I traded in my 2018 Z520L w/G2 for my current rig. My dealer mentioned that they weren't going to be working on the Evinrude's anymore and they said it was like pulling teeth to get reimbursed from the warranty work they did on mine. I also had a several issues with mine (one of which was an $8k repair on the electronic steering) so I decided to go ahead and take the hit on it and trade it in even though it only had 160hrs on it.

Good luck in your search

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

11. Member
    As mentioned, getting it serviced would be a problem in a lot of areas of the country.

12. Member
    I think the service part would be more of a deterrent than the parts. Supposedly Mercury dealers will do the service. But I am sure we will be down on the priority list.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I think the service part would be more of a deterrent than the parts. Supposedly Mercury dealers will do the service. But I am sure we will be down on the priority list.
    Need to clarify this. A Mercury dealer is in no way authorized to perform warranty work on Evinrudes.
    A dealer may been an authorized Evinrude dealer and authorized Mercury dealer prior to BRP closing the Evinrude brand. There were many dealers who sold both brands. But if a dealer was “mercury only” when Evinrude was shut down, that dealer is not authorized to perform warranty service on Evinrudes.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Evinrude and Mercury had/have a deal to install Mercury engines on Evinrude hulls but not to service Evinrude engines.