Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you pause if it had an Etec

Seriously looking at a 2019 520L but the only thing that is causing pause is that it has a G3 250 Etec. The boat is pristine, the deal is good and the motor only has 52 hrs. Unlike the BBC elite, I will be financing this. My question is, would having an Etec on it cause you pause to pull the trigger and should future service needs arise will service and parts be a concern. I have run a 150 HO Etec for the last 10 yrs and I have had no real issues. Also, posted this in the Evinrude forum. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    5 Short of a limit

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I hesitate to advise anyone on financial decisions, because we can’t foresee the future. Of the two concerns you’ve already raised, however, the priority one for me would be expert, reliable service. Parts availability for anything is questionable right now, but unless you have someone trained and at hand to diagnose problems if/when needed, parts availability is moot. The G2 is a fine engine with many advanced features, but in your situation I’d be looking first of all for a dealership with a long-term commitment to servicing that engine, including a platinum-certified Evinrude technician likely to be there for the long haul.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Yes , I did.

4. Member
    I would go to your local dealer and ask if they would work on the motor. I bought a 'Rude in November, picked up the boat in March and got the letter in a couple months later. I felt mad, honestly. But I do trust that they will keep making parts for it. You can still get parts for OMC motors and they are gone. BRP is still here.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

You may also want to search in the "Lounge" as there was a discussion on this very topic. (I think it was in the Lounge.)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    I would not even consider a boat with an etec regardless of price. This coming from a former owner.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I would steer clear as well...

The Evinrude mess is one reason why I traded in my 2018 Z520L w/G2 for my current rig. My dealer mentioned that they weren't going to be working on the Evinrude's anymore and they said it was like pulling teeth to get reimbursed from the warranty work they did on mine. I also had a several issues with mine (one of which was an $8k repair on the electronic steering) so I decided to go ahead and take the hit on it and trade it in even though it only had 160hrs on it.

Good luck in your search

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

There is a reason all those Rangers with E-tech motors are $6,000-$10,000 less then same year Rangers with Yamaha or Mercury motors on them.

9. Member
    if the deal is good buy it, can always repower in 5-10 yrs if needed. my ficht is 22 and still going strong
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    I would not buy.

11. Member
    Thanks guys. My general rule in life is, if you have to try and talk yourself into doing something, it is probably a red flag that you shouldn't do it.....so I passed on it.
    5 Short of a limit

12. Member
    Where is it?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

13. Member
    If you save 5,10, 15 K and get (making this up) and get 500 plus hours it is a good investment. Moreover, if you have a company that works on those engines they will for years to come since they have stocked parts.

Your second to last sentence said you have a 150 with no issues for 10 years. Look up boat shops that service different types engines and I will give you a guess which company brand is always behind. I have 1000 plus hours on Evinrude and have changed plugs.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    Thanks guys. My general rule in life is, if you have to try and talk yourself into doing something, it is probably a red flag that you shouldn't do it.....so I passed on it.
    Now that is a great rule to follow! I think you made the right decision. The Evinrude tech at my local dealer is no longer there and my buddy was telling me it's best effort. He got lucky with his repair, but I'd hate to take that chance with as many components these engines have that can go bad. Good luck

15. Member
    Smart man
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post

16. Member
    Thayers in Norwich CT has probably sold as many or more Evinrudes than anyone on the east coast in the last 10 years. I don't see how they would ever be able to stop working on them just based on the amount of customers that they have, they would be your best option for service if you bought it. All of that being said, if I was buying one (I bought mine brand new and so far have no regrets) used I would definitely expect a fairly deep discount to offset the risk of what Evinrude has become.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

17. Member
    if it has a etech buy it like it doesnt have a motor on it that way you wont be disappointed.

18. Member
    PASS. Why would you place a long term investment on something that has been discontinued? 1) Will not find anyone that will service, RARE if you find one. 2) They dont make them anymore, so no more new parts will be made. 3) Its a 'rude, never had an issue with my 'rudes but its like buying a motorola razor phone vs a iphone... LOL

19. Member
    No way would I buy a boat with an ETec

I own a 2018 520C with the 250 G2, and I pulled the trigger on it 3 years ago when Evinrude made the announcement. I have a marina that was a Evinrude dealer 1/2 hour from me (Also a sponsor for our club for years) and called him before I bought it. He told me to pull the trigger on it. I could not be happier that I did, in the last three years it has been the BEST motor I have ever ran hands down. I had a issue with a injector, and was still under warantee, Marina had my boat in and out within a week and fixed, part was in stock and had to pay nothing, also had another small issue, and the part was in stock. My told told me that parts will avail. for years to come and dont worry about it. I say go for it, which such low hours. Motor is a beast !!! I would not trade mine for anything. Currently I now have almost 400 hrs and runs like a champ. You should get a great deal on the boat, because of the G@, not easy to sell, but the way I looked at it, if I were to get 5-10 years out of it, awesome, and then I will re-power.
    Last edited by Rich196; 11-21-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast