Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephsharpe99 View Post
    PASS. Why would you place a long term investment on something that has been discontinued? 1) Will not find anyone that will service, RARE if you find one. 2) They dont make them anymore, so no more new parts will be made. 3) Its a 'rude, never had an issue with my 'rudes but its like buying a motorola razor phone vs a iphone... LOL
    You realize a lot of dealers are still servicing them, no problem and you also realize that you can still get parts for all kinds of motors that have been discontinued, right?
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Member
    I ran a E Tec for years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Mine was trouble free and the self winterizing feature is great.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjockey View Post
    I ran a E Tec for years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Mine was trouble free and the self winterizing feature is great.
    My current E-Tec has been an excellent motor. If you read the OP's statement you will see he as ran a 150HO for 10 years trouble-free. Well I have 340 hours on my 150 HO and I ran my Ficht to over 1000 hours so I do have some Evinrude run time. With that being said my recommendation to the OP is don't pause run away. The OP is questioning buying a G2 250 and the reason for my advice is two fold...one being the difficulty to get someone who knows what they are doing to perform work on them. The places that actually work on them are getting slim and the places that have a reputation of being great Evinrude support are very slim. My second reason for recommending him to run is based on the difficulty to get warranty work and or parts. Granted the other major brands are having issues with new parts but they are companies that are running and putting out new motors so they do have the need to produce parts. This is my personal opinion but how vested is BRP into making parts for a brand that is no longer being produced. Once the warranty runs out the incentive to produce parts for a normal repair is not as great as producing a part for a warranty repair. I've been a loyal Johnson/Evinrude boater for around 30 years but there is no way I will own another based on how I feel about their support network.

4. Member
    As mentioned, talk to your dealer. I would be very comfortable with that motor because my dealer has certified mechanics for Mercury, Yamaha, and Evinrude. My only concern would be parts.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

5. Member
    I have a 250 G2 right now and it is the best motor I have ever owned. Great on gas, Amazing bottom end and it uses so little oil I think it not working right (had it checked it is). But I do agree parts in the future may be an issue. If the price is right and you love the boat go for it.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I love the performance of my 2015 ETEC G2 250 but I've been waiting on a center section, both tilt trim and steering are leaking, since October with no further details other than "back ordered", not to mention the unserviceable part is $8100 before paying someone to install it. This is a known issue with these motors and Evinrude laughed at my dealer when they asked if we could get some help. Their reply was, "be glad if you can ever get a new one". I wouldn't buy a boat with one hanging on the back for any amount of money at this point.

7. Member
    No thanks. If I have a question like that about such a big part of a major investment I would avoid.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Meadows View Post
    I love the performance of my 2015 ETEC G2 250 but I've been waiting on a center section, both tilt trim and steering are leaking, since October with no further details other than "back ordered", not to mention the unserviceable part is $8100 before paying someone to install it. This is a known issue with these motors and Evinrude laughed at my dealer when they asked if we could get some help. Their reply was, "be glad if you can ever get a new one". I wouldn't buy a boat with one hanging on the back for any amount of money at this point.
    Yup... Mine went out with only about 150-160hrs on the motor.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1205397

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Nope ! I'd just keep on walking !! Not for me, there's enough reasons to pass on that one !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    10 years running my E-Tec, best engine yet and I live on on the water

11. Member
    It needs to be better than just a good deal more like the boat priced without a motor or maybe a little more and have a dealer or more within driving distance that can and will work on it or you could be in trouble if a failure occurs. I’ve had several and they are good engines and run really strong and efficient but the dealer network would make me worry.
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12