Honeoye Lake treated

Well there were big tanker in the parking lot at the Honeoye launch one day and the next they were out in the lake treating the lake with something? These were very large tanks on barge like boats that were in the lake, I assume treating it like they have Cayuga and Conesus to kill the weeds, here is another lake getting messed up......why....just why? Honeoye has been getting better and better each year the fish size and health has been greatly improved from the years and years of 8 pound limits I can only hope this doesn't destroy the great fishery Honeoye is becoming.

Does anyone have more or better info on just what they were or are doing with these tankers?

2. Member
    Sad, just said is all I can add.

3. Member
    Sorry to have read that , they say it doesn't hurt the fish but I think it does something to them. Here in Pa they been shooting pellets into curtain lakes and when they do fishing gets harder and harder to find them

4. Member
    I saw the tankers getting set up there on my last trip to Honeoye at the end of October. On the Honeoye Lake Boat Lauch webpage, they said they are conducting a pilot study on the lake involving alum treatments to reduce the amount of phosphorus. I guess their goal is to reduce the amount of weed growth and algae. It is very disappointing to see them messing with another one of our lakes. I had one of my best years ever on that lake and caught many more quality fish than in years past, so the lake seems to be doing fine on its own.

5. Member
    They really can't mess up Honeoye any more than they have with the weed cutting. The algae blooms that have been caused by the weed cutting have been the nastiest I've seen on any lake.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

6. Member
    I agree with Z7Mike i have been fishing Honeoye a couple times a year for at least 40 years and the last 3 to 5 years the quality of fish on the lake has improved greatly i remember when catching a three pounder was a giant there this year tournament results show 15 pound limits have become common place now, many time a 15 pound bag didn't get you anything. weeds are natural on the lake chemicals of any kind are not leave the lakes alone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    .......... The algae blooms that have been caused by the weed cutting .................
    Did they determine this in PA? I would like to read about it.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Hochal with control over the DEC for next 4 years spells disaster.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Yup, I agree!

Hochal with control over everything for next 4 years spells disaster.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Hochal with control over everything for next 4 years spells disaster.
    agreed 100 percent

12. Member
    Anyone know what hoops you must jump thru to buy ammo in this communist state of ny

13. Member
    The same director has been in charge of the DEC since 2015. I highly doubt the governor has any idea about what lakes are treated with what etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    The same director has been in charge of the DEC since 2015. I highly doubt the governor has any idea about what lakes are treated with what etc.
    You ever hear the Old Saying, "The buck stops here"? If you're in charge, it's on you.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

15. Member
    I called the DEC last year about the algae bloom and weed cutting on Honeoye Lake. I was told it is the different plant types causing the algae bloom. When two different plants come together they emit toxins. Not sure if it's true...I never looked into it. They also said the weed cutting and decaying plant matter didn't harm the lake and in no way causes the algae. Just an inconvenience for the fisherman

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    I doubt the director of the DEC knows what lakes are being treated with what lol

17. Member
    I doubt the director of the DEC knows what lakes are being treated with what lol
    Boom, mike drop. Hit that nail straight on the head.
    one thing they are good for is looking for indigenous weeds to break my stones about wetland areas in my subdivision.

18. Member
    They’re dumping alum in the deeper sections of the lake to encapsulate phosphorus

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zackblain View Post
    They’re dumping alum in the deeper sections of the lake to encapsulate phosphorus
    When I lived on Irondequoit Bay back in the 80's, they were testing out that very thing there. No idea if they actually found out that it works but they were in my cove every week taking deeper water samples.