Question Excessive Smoke On Start Up

Hi every one, I have a 2005 Mercury 90ELPTO, serial # 1B146412. Engine starts fine, idles fine, runs good at all speeds. After running across the lake etc. and turning off the engine for a few minuets, on the next start up there is quite a bit of smoke and is a bit hard to start, sometimes I have to use the fast idle to get the engine to run smooth again. Little to no smoke after the engine has burned off the oil from the start up. This is happening with the engine in the down position when stopped. I'm using Quick Silver Premium Plus oil. Any advice as to what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated. Also your suggestions would be welcomed.
    Is it the oil I'm using, faulty oil check valve or leaky carburetor's?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Focus on the oil check valve and/or carbs. If you have a portable fuel tank, determine if the cap "clicks" when tightened firmly. If it does, you need an FDV in the fuel line (commonly missed item when new tanks are purchased/installed).

Won't be the oil type.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you for your response and advice.

4. Member
    That sounds normal for a 2 stroke.