Boat certificate

Is there anything I should looking out for buying a boat certificate from someone who won a boat in a tournament? Any suggestions on how I should get the transaction done from those that have gone that route? I could save thousands this way but there’s obviously a risk.

2. Member
    Put hand on boat and ask questions, directed to dealer boat runs through. Happens all the time
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Banned
    Ask which tournament it was won at?
    verify with organization.
    Know what you are buying. Some come without motors. Without accessories.
    Call the dealer you plan on buying it through and make sure they understand the process.
    Call you lender. They may not lend on a piece of paper.

4. Member
    The guy I bought from, whom I also worked with, went and picked up the boat. When he got home he unhooked , we did the paperwork, and I hooked up.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

I believe most of those certificates have an expiration date so be sure it's not expired before you buy. The few guys I know who bought them from other people took them to the dealer and they know how to deal with them. You can also upgrade to a bigger boat by paying the difference too !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    When dealing with certificates, make sure all your ducks are lined up. Call the boat manufacturer up to find out what you need to do as a buyer of that certificate (they should be able to confirm authenticity at that time as well). When buying a physically available boat, clarify if you will be the original owner or if it has already been titled to the boat winner. Factor that into the price, only the original owner gets the full lifetime hull warranty (except for Basscats).

Sometimes getting a loan it troublesome because there is no vin/hin
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

ALSO, be sure to read what all is included on the certificate as far as anything other than the boat. Like, motor, TM, Graphs, etc.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    ALSO, be sure to read what all is included on the certificate as far as anything other than the boat. Like, motor, TM, Graphs, etc.
    This. I've seen them not come with a prop as well.

Also check with the manufacturer to make sure they will honor it. Nitro told me I could only sell my certificate to a dealer. Luckily they put me in touch with one that would buy it.

10. Member
    Are you getting a “certificate of origin”? I just bot a new RV out of state and will receive this certificate. Since I did not pay sales tax at the time of purchase, I will pay the tax when I register and title the the RV in my home state. I need the certificate to prove ownership.