Optimax 115 no start

Fished this weekend and had issues all day with motor not wanting to start from the second we hit the water.

At launch I had to move the throttle in and out of gear many times to get it to start.

Beeps once, will not turn over at all. Battery charged the day before. Killswitch is set to run.

Turned the key and went from reverse to neutral position with the key held over and it fired right up.

Also pushed the neutral button under the throttle and cranked the key and it fired right up. Very hit or miss, but mostly miss.

Had a "shift position switch" that sits under the oil reservoir replaced by dealer this spring.

Where do I start? Thanks for any help!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Loose battery or keyswitch harness connections... low battery, or NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (in the control). And of course- confirm that you are or are not getting 12V+ on the small yellow w/red stripe wire at the starter solenoid, when attempting to start (and it's failing to activate starter). Entirely possible for it to be the solenoid or starter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply! How does a guy go about opening up the control? Sneaking suspicion the neutral safety switch is the issue but I haven't had any luck finding resources on how to open up the control.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is actually a service manual for the control- which manual depends on which one of MANY you have. In most cases, the neutral safety switch is sold separately (though I personally urge caution when it comes to repairing remote controls). See if you can't post up a picture of your control and handle (as a good starting point).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor