ANOTHER WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY BOAT......RANGER

I removed my trolling motor batteries and removed my onboard charger from all my batteries in preperation for a ionics lithium charger and 2 50amp batteries for the trolling motor. Now my boat has no power to the key or motor trim....I do have power to my graphs pumps lights but nothing to the key......I checked the breaker on the positive cable coming from the battery and checked the fuses on the motor.....NOTHING.. Everything worked perfectly until i started disconnecting the batteries.....kill switch all were operating normal prior to this......PLease help.....thank you p.s. I have a 08 Mercury OptiMax 150

2. Member
    My guess is you took off a main motor wire from the cranking battery when removing the charger from the battery terminals.

it is weird I do only have 1 main red positive cable with a breaker inline and 3 black cables to negative. One is for the electronics can't figure out why i have 3. I looked high and low in the battery compartment for a second red cable don't see anything

4. Member
    Do you have a red positive to your master shut off/jump start switch hooked up?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Do you have a red positive to your master shut off/jump start switch hooked up?
    This

You've missed connecting a pos wire to the battery. You should have at least 2 or 3 positive wires on the starting battery, plus the battery charger wire. Look behind and all around the starting battery. Follow the pos cable from your cut off switch, that's what it sounds like.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    You've missed connecting a pos wire to the battery. You should have at least 2 or 3 positive wires on the starting battery, plus the battery charger wire. Look behind and all around the starting battery. Follow the pos cable from your cut off switch, that's what it sounds like.
    ^This

I was one of the black wires running to the battery. had to have it diagnosed by a shop. There ain't no way im hooking up negative cables to the positive terminal of the battery.....lesson learned I should of taken a picture before i disconnected the battery......

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G P View Post
    It was one of the black wires running to the battery. had to have it diagnosed by a shop. There ain't no way im hooking up negative cables to the positive terminal of the battery.....lesson learned I should of taken a picture before i disconnected the battery......
    Amen to that. ^^ We live and [hope to] learn! Thanks for reporting back; always good to learn the resolution of issues like this.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

10. Member
    It's easy to do. When I pull my batteries for the winter, I run a zip tie through the loops of each bundle and label them as I take them off. It seems straightforward until you go to connect things back up several months later. The older I get, the more things I label :)

Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post
    It's easy to do. When I pull my batteries for the winter, I run a zip tie through the loops of each bundle and label them as I take them off. It seems straightforward until you go to connect things back up several months later. The older I get, the more things I label :)
    I used to write down what went where when I'd replace the batteries now I take a lot pics

12. Member
    I also do the zip tie through the loops. Probably save a lot of issues over the years.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

Quote Originally Posted by schinkr1 View Post

This
    1992 RANGER 392V 200 MERC

14. Member
    Similar issue. Failed to hook up one black wire. Motor would start with keypad but not cut off unless I entered the code again. Alos even tho keypad worked and lit up, . Livewell etc wouldn't. Took me a minute to find the wire way back behind both batteries. Thought sure pad had gone bad. Took deep breath, said calm down , and started looking. Lol. Those senior moments.

15. Moderator
    Literally the same exact thing happened to me, even to the brand of batteries. After further investigation I found a neg wire tucked in behind the charger. Problem fixed