Banned

2000 Johnson Smoky

The motor is smoky upon start up ,then will clear up while running . Always smoky when starting or in gear at low speed .The wife hates the smoke, Is there an adjustment to clear this up or should I get a 4 stroke ?

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    The motor is smoky upon start up ,then will clear up while running . Always smoky when starting or in gear at low speed .The wife hates the smoke, Is there an adjustment to clear this up or should I get a 4 stroke ?
    2000 what??????? Look at stickys and read rule#1

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Banned
    90 Hp. What is "Rule #1 "?

4. Member
    90 Hp. What is "Rule #1 "?
    Model and Serial number in motor post.

I know on my Yamaha VMax the Lucas Marine oil smoked very little compared to the yamalube…. Could be an option. Otherwise a new four stroke on a new boat, after all, happy wife equals happy life right?!
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Banned
    J90PLSIF. G04919433

6. Member
    ++ to Xingeyeballs. Oil type does make a difference on smoke output. What brand / type of oil are you using now?
    cheaper oils use a lower cost additive package with more mineral based ingredients. Higher cost, premium oils use a more synthetic based additive package. Therefore a higher price. Synthetics burn cleaner with less smoke.
    Look for oils using terms like “synthetic blend” or “synthetic formula”. Lucas is a good oil as is Amsoil, Mercury / Quicksilver premium and Evinrude Johnson XD50 for reduced smoke.

There is no adjustment to reduce smoke. You can never totally eliminate the smoke as the engine is a carbureted 2 cycle with oil and fuel going into the combustion chamber. When the engine is cold on initial startup there will be more smoke. The engine must run at the proper idle temperature. If the engine is running cold at Low speed idling it will smoke more due to poor combustion.

7. Banned
    That is what I was thinking, a relative of mine told me that" just needs a little adjustment ","might be getting too much oil; ". There is always a "know it all " that knows nothing ! Thanks guys for clearing that up . Time to start checking out some 4 strokes.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    That is an 01 and they are good engines....let's hear the oil that you are currently running for more truthful ideas as Bighare said......unless ya got your heart set on a 4 s....

9. Banned
    West Marine,...Would like to upgrade to something less noisy, smoky. Had Mercury motors on my previous 2 boats, plan getting another . This time will be a 4 stroke.
    Last edited by Marky1; 11-03-2022 at 09:14 AM.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    West Marine,...Would like to upgrade to something less noisy, smoky. Had Mercury motors on my previous 2 boats, plan getting another . This time will be a 4 stroke.
    Order it now so you'll get it about this time next year. There is a big delay on repower motors. May want to look at Zukes.

11. Member
    If you think it's smoking now run you a big old bunch of sea foam through it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    ++ to Xingeyeballs. Oil type does make a difference on smoke output. What brand / type of oil are you using now?
    cheaper oils use a lower cost additive package with more mineral based ingredients. Higher cost, premium oils use a more synthetic based additive package. Therefore a higher price. Synthetics burn cleaner with less smoke.
    Look for oils using terms like “synthetic blend” or “synthetic formula”. Lucas is a good oil as is Amsoil, Mercury / Quicksilver premium and Evinrude Johnson XD50 for reduced smoke.

There is no adjustment to reduce smoke. You can never totally eliminate the smoke as the engine is a carbureted 2 cycle with oil and fuel going into the combustion chamber. When the engine is cold on initial startup there will be more smoke. The engine must run at the proper idle temperature. If the engine is running cold at Low speed idling it will smoke more due to poor combustion.
    Good advice. I've been running the Evinrude/Johnson Premium Synthetic Blend in my '96 Intruder 150 (E150GLEDB) and after I sorted out a bunch of fuel delivery issues it still smokes a little more than it should. I get the oil at Walmart and had always thought this oil was equivalent to XD50 but now I'm really questioning that thinking. I'm planning to switch to XD50 next year for the 150 and I'll just use the leftover 'Premium' oil in my 9.9 and 25HP that both use pre-mix.

KJ

13. Member
    smoke and the smell is the best thing about a 2 stroke
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I love the smell of 2 Strokes in the morning...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

15. Member
    One other thing to consider is if your fill cap on the oil tank is venting properly. If the vent is clogged it will cause the tank to pressurize and force excess oil through the pump.

Also, make sure you're VRO pump is in good condition and that your fuel system is completely sealed. Any restrictions in fuel flow to the engine will result in the VRO pump over oiling and creating an oil rich condition.

KJ