Would you buy a used EMM off of Ebay?

My 2008 115 Etec has been sitting at the dealer since June with a burned up EMM. At first I was told that BRP had been hacked and wasn't shipping parts so all I could do is wait. Now I hear that BRP has been back online for a while but the EMM that I need is backordered with no apparent ship date. I've looked at all the usual spots online and no one has one in stock (part no. 0586982). I did find two of them on Ebay though. One for $600 which is about 1/3 of the new cost but comes with obvious worries. The listing says that it was scanned and there were no issues but who knows what state it could actually be in. Would any of you trust an Ebay part for something like an EMM? I'm a little worried that with Evinrude being out of business that BRP may not be putting any funds into manufacturing replacement parts so a new EMM may not ever be coming.

Repowering is a ridiculous idea for this boat with the price of new engines so that's really not an option. I was told a new 115hp Merc would be around $20k and about a years wait. The price sounds high to begin with especially since this 2008 Ranger 170VX was only $17,800 brand new with the 115hp Etec on it. So now I'm trying to figure out what my next move should be.

1. Buy the Ebay EMM and don't worry about it and run it till it dies.
    2. Buy the Ebay EMM, get it running again, and sell it to buy something new.
    3. Keep on waiting for BRM to get me a new EMM

What would you do?

2. Banned
    yep.

Take the gamble and buy the ebay version. hope for the best.
    keep the original on order and pay for it when it comes in. keep ebay as a spare or resell it on ebay.
    Lifes to short to stay off the water. Do what it takes to get back on the water.

3. Member
    I would if everything looked legit(seller, reviews, part number/pictures). eBay is typically going to protect the buyer so if everything looks legitimate and turns out to be dead on arrival you should be able to contest it. Something like the EMM I would think is going to be useable or garbage when it arrives. Stay on the list for the new and as a plan B and cross that bridge if they fulfill the order.
    It’s a crapshoot but think of it this way, there’s plenty of people with brand new boats/outboards sitting and waiting for parts too, and their making payments….
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    I bought hundreds of items on EBAY, with very little problems, Including EMM's

Look at the sellers "FEEDBACK HISTORY" & "SEE OTHER ITEMS" , if there are lots of stuff listed, you would think he's been a legitimate seller for years.

EBAY usually backs the buyer if there is a problem, Good Luck, hopefully all goes well.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    What does it say on the listing as far as returns or warranty or whatever I have bought a lot of used parts and have been lucky enough to not have been disappointed
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years