American Tackle Dagger Spinning Reel Seat

Just an FYI if you want to try one of these with the standard hood...not enough threads if you want to uplock and finish the back end with some cork or downlock with a foregrip. Was glad I checked, was going to uplock with a couple of rings behind the hood and then realized it wouldn't unscrew enough to get in a spinning reel seat. Just ended up downlocking it and using an epoxy ramp.

It's basically a VSS knockoff but it is a little different, maybe a little lighter (should have weighed it). It is about 2 x the price of a VSS though. If I get another one it'll be with the Uni Lock Hood since I prefer uplocking.

The plain version retails for $3.25. The carbon injected version is like $10 plus. The grip material is very thin. We've built some private label with EVA and cork. I'll be interested to see the long term durability of the cork.

3. Member
    The Fuji is only about 0.2" longer.

4. Member
    Alex, I've got the standard seat, CCT, cork version. Agree that the cork was on the thin side but fit the seat well unlike a lot of the VSS/VSS cork I've gotten. Seems like they all need to be fiddled with a bit to get them to mate nicely.

Spoonplugger, regardless of the overall length there's just not enough threads...if you put some cork up against the seat and back the hood all the way to the cork it's not enough to get a spinning reel in there (at least not a Stradic). It's just short and you could probably force it if you really tried but I don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Alex, I've got the standard seat, CCT, cork version. Agree that the cork was on the thin side but fit the seat well unlike a lot of the VSS/VSS cork I've gotten. Seems like they all need to be fiddled with a bit to get them to mate nicely.
    We've built 200+ and with time, you will run into the same fit issues as the VSS. We've actually seen more, mainly with EVA. The biggest issue is the fit at the front curve of the seat. Pics attached. We've tried gluing these every way possible (different epoxies, tape, rubber band, holding by hand until cured, etc) and the grip will not hold flush. The bad part is you really feel this holding the grip. We'd had a few issues with them not lining up along the side - usually a gap. See pics. We have more issues than with VSS. Always been ablet to get VSS worked out. These we are having to strip and toss. Have a whole box of them. (note, these are a little messy because either glue leaked out because of the gap or trying to fix them we used too much glue - regardless they are getting stripped and a new piece of EVA that hopefully fits)
    20221101_114748.jpg20221101_114839.jpg20221101_114556.jpg20221101_114526.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Yeah I've only done the one and must have gotten a good one because it fit perfect. I got tired of fiddling around with a file and a hobby knife on the VSS cork (time which I'm sure you don't have) and just get Matagi EVA for the VSS seats now. I've probably done 5 or 6 of them and they have all been perfect.

With the cork VSS I'll usually mess with it until I get it either perfect or going over the seat...if it does that it's easy to tape and sand it flush but again I'm sure you don't have the time to do any of that.