Ghost stuff... modify? new remote?

I have been debating weather I wanna buy this motor. two problems I have which most of you wont is I fish the Great Lakes and use it to steer the boat, while i am at the stern. With all the other motors you can see the head move and see the direction its going (xi5 drove me nuts wrapping the cord around itself going out of control, even after updating the software etc.), but i seen a youtube video show its a magnet on top with the blue arrows and it needs a little dialect grease if it sticks. so its got me thinking if there's something I can add on the top somehow so I can see the arrow direction from the stern when setting up downriggers etc. another thing I wasn't happy to learn was the remote DOES NOT have heading lock on it, like ALL the other motors do with their remotes for gps motors. But after speaking to a fishing show host I have learned there is a prototype that is being tested it may have the heading lock on it. So I may bite the bullet and buy the Ghost if I can really figure out how to get an direction indicator on the spinning part. I know this is a massive long shot since this is mostly a bass forum, where guys will be at the bow, but has anyone on here even tried anything like that?

2. Member
    Do you have a unit like the HDS Live or FS Elite controlling the Ghost? It has heading lock on the software and it has an arrow you can watch that shows direction. you can also follow a Route you create so you don't need to control the Ghost at all you would have to control the speed and in the wind you are talking about not sure other than an autopilot on a big motor how that would work have no experience in big wind with the ghost. There is a lot of new software coming out end of year for the new HDS which may have something their. I do steer mine at the console which as below the top of the ghost and use the software to do it no issues even with heading lock on. I manual set the speed on the screen.

3. Member
    I have a bc jag with a ghost - I love the ghost TM for bass fishing.

I have a vexus dvx22 - I love the ghost TM for casting off bow - bass, lake trout, walleye, etc

I had many rangers before this with MK trolling motors on bow.

For trolling with kicker and steering with TM the ghost is terrible. I am very very adept at using the lowrance graphs (own 7 lives) with 2 ghosts. There is no good way to use the ghost for steering as the remote is terrible. I have taped a rooster type indicator on top of the indicator dial to see. But the problem is the remote moves very non precise and jerky. Plus you have no idea what speed the TM is set at on remote. If the Ghost had a remote like the MK's it would work great. I have been telling lowrance this for last 2 yrs. They claim new remote coming out. Nope.

My 2 cents. For trolling its just a poor set up.

Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    I have a bc jag with a ghost - I love the ghost TM for bass fishing.

I have a vexus dvx22 - I love the ghost TM for casting off bow - bass, lake trout, walleye, etc

I had many rangers before this with MK trolling motors on bow.

For trolling with kicker and steering with TM the ghost is terrible. I am very very adept at using the lowrance graphs (own 7 lives) with 2 ghosts. There is no good way to use the ghost for steering as the remote is terrible. I have taped a rooster type indicator on top of the indicator dial to see. But the problem is the remote moves very non precise and jerky. Plus you have no idea what speed the TM is set at on remote. If the Ghost had a remote like the MK's it would work great. I have been telling lowrance this for last 2 yrs. They claim new remote coming out. Nope.

My 2 cents. For trolling its just a poor set up.
    Old thread, but I also share your annoyance at steerting remotely with the Ghost. I mean, it works ok when you use the remote on the front deck - it's still not precise, but at least you can see the directional indictor. I've found it usually takes two quick presses to get it to move, or a long press but then you typically wind up turning to much.

This past weekend, I tried streering from the cockpit, as I was using my 3D and wanted to use the TM vs the Big Motor. Quickly found you can't tell which way you are going, even the Trolling panel on the HDS lives don't appear to indicate it in any way. So you are just guess, based on direction you are heading, and try to adjust from there. Which is damn near impossible due to the lack of response from the TM/Remote :(. I though about taping something on top temporarily so I could at lease have some sort of direction indicator, but diced it wasn's worth it since the remote steering is so bad.

I'll be honest, it's not something I would do a lot of, but it sure was annoying, I gave up after about 15 min of it.

5. Member
    Bought the remote last summer for the Ghost thinking I would use it..............used it twice and now it hangs with the old rods waiting for a new fishing technique to avail itself. The remote does not have much usefulness at all. MK did it right with theirs and have not seen the Garmin remote.