Thread: Trailer shocks

Trailer shocks

A different thread got me wondering about these. I am curious about a few things. Why do some trailers for Champs have shocks but others don't ? My 08 210 does not have shocks but I have wondered if I was missing out. What are the benefits, pros/cons ? I recently did some maintenance/replacement on my leafs and shackles so I know those components are in good working order. I've considered having a shop add some attachements for shocks to the trailer but don't know if it's worth it.

What say ye ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    It was an add on feature (option) on the boat trailers. Most modern boat trailers don't have them so I wouldn't worry about it if the trailer didn't come with them. I haven't really noticed a difference having them on, compared to a previously owned boat trailer
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

3. Member
    Yea , not convinced I'm missing out. Just wondered why they are on some and not the others. I think Phoenix and Bass Cat put them on their trailers.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    All shocks do is control bouncing or an over exaggerated movement in the springs. I suppose on really bad roads they could take some of the wear out of the springs and spring bushings. As much as you tow your boat they wouldn’t hurt anything for sure. As to how much help would be a guess on my part. Are they necessary? Not really I would say.

5. Member
    My 2006 198 Dual axle has the shocks. You can tell a major difference when you are on a very bumpy road. You get a much better ride and I compare that to my last trailer that did not have shocks. same roads.

6. Member
    Although they are not really considered shocks, I recently bought a new trailer with a torsion axle and the difference is substantial over my old leaf spring axle.