Wilmore Dam - Cambria County

This lake is 30 mins from my house and I never fished it. The lake was built for the Pennsylvania Rail Road. The water from the damfeed the Wilmore Track Pans. There were 4 tracks on the main line and the pans extended 2,685 feet. The pans were using 1.5 million gallons of water a day. A scoop was installed under the water tender for the steam locomotive. It was lowered into the pan and the forward motion forced water into the tender.

The lake of course no longer feeds the water pans. However the lake is now open to fishing and is an electric only lake. The lake is feed with mountain spring water. It is a nice size lake. It is narrow and long. There are no houses or private docks. There is a great ramp and docks at the breast of the dam. The trees come down to the water and actually over hang. It's great if your good at skipping. The lake has crappie, walleye, northern and large mouth.

It was a warm sunny end of October day and the water was 50 degrees. The lake is loaded with underwater structure making it great for crappie. I started out slow as I initially struggled to figure out this new lake. I had no success fishing points or the structure. Then I put on a popper and started skipping under the trees. I'm not the best at skipping how ever after 3 hours and 21 large mouth I was an all star at it. This was a personal best for me with this many bass. I didn't get anything over 3 pounds but they were all over a pound and a half.

20221029_132632.jpg20221029_134214~2.jpg20221029_140734.jpg
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

2. Member
    Nice fish John. I'll bet that won't be the last time you fish there.

3. Member
    I have to get you up north yet. It has been a crazy year. My wife had to deal with some bladder cancer and the house has been a mess. We are about half way through an extensive remodeling job that started in July. The hold up has been getting windows and doors. Back order after back order which means the new siding is half done. However I am thinking about another late winter trip to the hot side. If it works out I'll have my boat and of course the back is reserved for you. I certainly will focus mainly on this lake for the rest of the year. I like learning how to catch fish in a new lake. I like the challenge more than catching the same fish in the same place.

4. Member
    Well you do have your hands full. I will keep your wife in my prayers and please give her my best. Looking forward to seeing you again on the water.

5. Member
    So fall is suppose to be great bass fishing. Not when the shore line has solid leaves 5 feet in the lake. Made it hard for top water fishing. I caught 7 in three hours today.

Nothing big.

20221102_130345.jpg

6. Member
    Thanks for pointing out this lake. I've never heard of it, but looks like one I'll have to try. I'm having trouble finding new lakes within a couple hours ride for me anymore. I've fished pretty much all of them. So, this will be on the list for a new adventure.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Sounds like it has some good fishing. Nice size fish.