Thread: Selling boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeintheshade View Post
    I don’t even trust Cash anymore
    My wife just transferred $5,000 from her dad's account into hers. Took cash from his bank directly to hers still banded together. Her bank identified one of the 100 dollar bills as counterfeit. Of course the original bank denied it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Certified check from bank or cash
    Thats how I bought mine. Cashiers check.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

3. Member
    Wire transfer only….I almost got a bad/fake cashiers check on a gun that I was selling

4. Member
    I sold mine last year , guy paid in two cashiers checks . One from a loan he had taken out and the other from his personal account . Everything seemed great until he called me a week later and the loan company stopped payment on their cashiers check ( they thought I still owed money on my boat ) . I was lost , my boat was in NC the loan company was in Texas , and I was sitting in Alabama . I never knew they could stop payment on a cashiers check . If you accept one please call the bank it’s from and confirm everything is ok . Even when I purchased my new boat the dealer called my bank to confirm payment .

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    I was interested in selling my boat but was wondering how to handle the transaction so I don’t get ripped off. Like getting a bad check or something. Is there any way to make sure the funds are good prior to handing over the keys?
    You can't be serious.

If you are, I have some Saskatchewan ocean front property for sale.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

6. Member
    twice
    Last edited by RichW; 11-12-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

7. Member
    I've done this twice. I asked what bank the buyer uses, in one case it was the same one that I use. In the other it was different, so I went to that bank & opened an account (savings, so no check fees). On the day of sale watched as buyer transferred the cash to my account, then verified it was there & then I signed the title. Went pretty smooth.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

8. Member
    Never buy from the representative of someone who is on top of a mountain and cant get down, about to be deployed to some ...istan or another or living in a deep sea habitat and cant get out...I have heard all of these.

9. Member
    Cashiers checks can be forged, best solution is to do the transaction at a bank and have his bank make out the cashiers check right there in front of you, then sign over title and bank notary signs. This has always been my method and so far so good, other than just straight up cash, that works too. Definitely get the fake money pen for bills tho. Good luck
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

10. Member
    I purchased my boat out of state back in 2014. For me even though I had been dealing with seller and talked with him several times. I did not know him and he did nor
    T know me. Trust is hard on both sides is hard. His part: is my money good. Mine: is the boat what he says it is. For us the simplest and easiest way was to let our bankers handle the situation. His bank verified the check I was bringing from my bank. If I didn't like what I seen I woulda simply brought the check back to my banker. Transaction went very smooth.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

11. Member
    My number one recommendation, lay down how you want the money, in my last instance the seller wanted 5k cash and the rest as a bank cheque. However you want your money, the buyer should oblige without hesitation.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

12. Member
    Easiest way is to meet at a branch of the buyers bank and cash the check there. If the funds aren't there you will know right away.

13. Member
    Ask you bank.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

14. Member
    Bank wire is by far the best and safest.

15. Member
    wire always works easiest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Bank wire is by far the best and safest.
    100% agree. although this last time there bank took forever to transfer the money. we were waiting for 5 hours for it to show up.

Means u have to do the transaction during the week typically though.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Member
    Cashiers check with prior confirmation if possible. I bought my boat out of state and everything worked out really well. I got a cashiers check for the price I was going to pay. Went over the boat, test drove it, then went to his bank. His bank called my bank to verify the cashiers check and went through the whole shebang to verify myself. He walked away with a big check and I walked away with a boat. A little bit of planning prior to the sale will save a lot of headache and keep things moving.

Rec lending . They do like an escrow account or something. Forgot what it was called. They held title until the funds cleared.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

19. Member
    I agree that $70,000 is definitely to much cash to carry around. And remember, if you get stopped for speeding or any reason and the police officer wants to search your vehicle or you and find that cash and you don't have the bank receipt or can prove where the money came from, the police can confiscate all of your cash and you can't do nothing about it. Ridiculous! That's why the certified bank check is needed. Now if you are buying a boat under $10,000 than cash is King. They can't confiscate cash under $10,000.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipnalong View Post
    I sold mine last year , guy paid in two cashiers checks . One from a loan he had taken out and the other from his personal account . Everything seemed great until he called me a week later and the loan company stopped payment on their cashiers check ( they thought I still owed money on my boat ) . I was lost , my boat was in NC the loan company was in Texas , and I was sitting in Alabama . I never knew they could stop payment on a cashiers check . If you accept one please call the bank it’s from and confirm everything is ok . Even when I purchased my new boat the dealer called my bank to confirm payment .
    so what happened then?? leaving us hanging?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12